2011 iMac not connecting to TV

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sutton Dagger, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Sutton Dagger macrumors newbie

Alright so I did some research regarding the viability of hooking up my 2011 iMac through MDP/thunderbolt to my Samsung LCD TV and most people were recommending the mono price adapter. I purchased this mono-price mini display port to HDMI adapter
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

and then got a 10m HDMI cable to connect to my TV. I can't detect the display though and everything I try isn't working. Tried through Bootcamp as well and it's a no go.

Anyone had any luck connecting their iMac 2011 to a TV? I hope I haven't spent all this money for nothing, I'm in Australia so it was a big hassle getting the adapter shipped over. :confused:

2. MacHamster68, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the problem does not have to be the iMac or the TV , most times the problem i found is the HDMI cable , the quality differs so widely thats like the difference in performance between a iMac G3 bondi blue from 1997 and a iMac i7 from 2011 both are computers like all cables with a hdmi on both ends are Hdmi cables , but thats about it with the similarities

you take one cable from manufacturer XY at say 2 meter lenght its perfect , you go to 5 m + and you got rubbish from that manufacturer at another manufacturer you got the opposite great at huge lengh , but rubbish on shorter distance , my advice buy in a shop that allowes you to try some different manufacturers and its not always the high price model that works great ...mine now is a chinese 10 meter cable for £2 i found on ebay after trying out more then a dozen others before and it works whenever i want

there was a Monster cable i think it was around £180 for 5 meters , it worked too sometimes but i'm not willing to spend £180 on a hdmi cable

3. Sutton Dagger thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response mate. Funnily enough after an hour or so of trying, it's now working perfectly in both Lion and Windows 7. I changed some settings with the TV so maybe that was the catalyst? Anyway it's all good now, cheers.

4. jordan.1 macrumors newbie

What settings did you change on the TV?