Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azax456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I have my credit card out and ready to purchase a new iMac but I don't know if now is a good time. If I buy the iMac now and Lion comes out in say 2 months will I be required to purchase Lion at full price if I want it? I know with PC's they always advertise with the purchase that you can upgrade to the new OS at no charge. Thanks for the help!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
If you buy now, you most likely have to buy Lion at full price. If you wait till WWDC and buy after that, you may be eligible for up-to-date promo which means you can buy the upgrade for 10$ (assuming there will be more details on Lion in WWDC).

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
I have my credit card out and ready to purchase a new iMac but I don't know if now is a good time. If I buy the iMac now and Lion comes out in say 2 months will I be required to purchase Lion at full price if I want it? I know with PC's they always advertise with the purchase that you can upgrade to the new OS at no charge. Thanks for the help!

Yes you pay full price.

So you buy now and pay up to another $100 in July if you want or wait. Simple as that.

Might not be July could be August or later. And price could be much less if it delivered through app store given the discounts Apple has on its other software offered via the app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.