2011 iMac Ram. 4GB to 12GB

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ducky280, May 14, 2011.

1. Ducky280 macrumors regular

Hi Guys,
    I have the 27inch iMac 2011 Model. Found a site: www.crucial.com , where I can upgrade from 4GB to 12GB by adding there 8GB Ram Kit for £69...

Is this worth doing? Will it speed things up more? Is it good ram?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Depends what you do with it but upgrading the RAM is almost always worth it. I would do it.

3. Ducky280 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm a web designer, so use Flash, xCode, etc .... All these Apps run smooth and fast now... Tho Flash can take a good 10/15 seconds to load (lol @ Adobe)

But for only £69 , even if I get a small speed gain, it would be worth it..

I was mainly checking it was a OK SITE and GOOD RAM :)

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Crucial is a reputable manufacturer and seller. No need to worry.

5. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

Exactly what I did a week ago in my i7 Mac; 4GB to 12GB Crucial, I do a lot of photoshop/Illustrator work so the more RAM the better.
    Just look on RAM as horsepower in a car and the more horses you have under the bonnet, the easier it is to have fun... :cool:

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You will see no speed up.

Ram will not make your mac faster, but it will allow you to have more applications open at the same time.

7. macpeach55 macrumors 6502

macpeach55

I just upgraded on my 21.5" 2.7 Ghz and with several programs open on both main and my extra screen, everything runs with no lag. And as I use parallels, with both OS's running, there is no slowing down - it was really noticeable with just the original 4GB

A question for those with more knowledge - the original memory was in the "top" two slots (As seen with the iMac laying on it's screen.). I simply put the two new 4GB memory in the empty "bottom" two slots. So now I have a mix of 2GB & 4GB sticks
    I know in my Wife's PC use it is important in which slots you put the matched sticks of different GB values so they "pair" to get the best performance - is this true with the iMac as well?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You used the right slots. The stock pair should already run in dual-channel so installing the new pair to the empty slots should make them run in dual-channel too.

9. macpeach55 macrumors 6502

macpeach55

Fabulous - so I did it right! :D

Thanks so much for the quick answer!

Cheers,
    Richard

10. cube, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011

cube macrumors G5

The limit on how many programs may be running at the same time is determined by the hard disk space, not by RAM.

How many programs may be usably ACTIVE at the same time is determined by how much RAM you got, the working set size of those programs, and the speed of the hard disk (this last one when you are tight on RAM).

More RAM makes the computer faster when the working set size is bigger that the amount of RAM available (ie., you have more than occasional swapping).

If you have free (or maybe I should say more than a little bit free) RAM with your workload using the largest amount of memory, any more that you add will be wasted.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Went on the cheap from stock 4 to 8 gigs on mine (for $35 bucks-hah!) and VM ware fusion on the new machine works like a champ. On my white c2d imac, it was somewhere between annoying and mildly painful to use.

12. Ducky280 thread starter macrumors regular

13. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

14. jduffy macrumors member

I am a Crucial customer who bought the 8GB upgrade kit for the latest 2011 version of the iMac. Only one of the DIMMS I received worked. The other when installed would not allow the iMac to start. It was returned to Crucial and a replacement is on the way. Hopefully the replacement will be trouble free.

However, when you say "No need to worry" well....just wait until all the DIMMS are working in the system. I love Crucial and buy their memory all the time. But I am worried this time! :)

Duffy

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That could have happened with any manufacturer's RAM. The truth is, a certain percent of RAM modules are defective when they leave the factory, which is the case with pretty much all consumer electronics. However, that percent is small but by time to time, someone receives one that is defective.