2011 iMac RAM in 2012 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madsci954, Jun 24, 2012.

1. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Last March, we purchased a 2011 iMac with 4GB of RAM. We then decided to buy an additional 4GB from OWC.

Long story short, we hit a finacial snag and had to return the iMac. That same day, we got the new RAM in the mail.

Fast forward to today, we bought a new 2012 MBP, non-retina, and I thought of the RAM issue. The MBP has 8GB but I was thinking I could put that extra 4GB to use. But I don't know if the RAM is compatible. Does anyone know if it is or not?

If it isn't no big deal. It has just been sitting in my desk in its shipping wrap for 3 months. The reason why we kept the RAM in the first place was we planned on buying a new iMac when they were refreshed but settled on MBP and MBA instead.

2. simsaladimbamba

The MacBook Pro (MBP) has only two RAM slots, if it comes with 8 GB, it means there are two 4 GB modules inside it already.
    Thus adding another 4 GB module will not work, due to only two slots, and replacing one 4 GB module with another will also not get you anything.

3. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Doesn't matter the slot configuration, the 2011 takes 1333MHz RAM and the 2012 takes 1600MHz.

4. madsci954 thread starter macrumors 68030

Eh, oh well. At least it was worth looking into. Thank you for the quick replies guys.