2011 iMac RAM install

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cole JM, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Cole JM macrumors regular

Got some more ram for my iMac, here is my video on the install. I mainly made it for people who are not as tech savy as the rest of us, and it also can be passed around the forum for people who ask "how do I install ram in an iMac". Thanks for watching!

also please check out my other videos! - I have to say it.

Anyways, here is the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-RwEBKGRPc

2. Pintail macrumors member

Thanks! Perfect for when my iMac finally arrives! I've had the RAM for a month now.

Bookmarking... :)

3. Cole JM thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Im glad it can help!

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

The instructions are actually *printed* on the bottom of the foot of the iMac and in the manual on page 7.

5. pma4life, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

pma4life macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Nice vid. Didn't know it was that easy. I have been trying to research the new iMac, and trying to figure out which best option is the best for me. I don't do any video editing, mainly photoshop, illustrator, and flash CS5. I have been working on a 3 year old pc and am ready to make the switch. I am planning on getting the 27" with 3.4ghz. A few questions I still have: Is it worth it to have an SSD installed at time of order? Or would it be beneficial to wait until the general prices of SSD's come down and then install it then? Does it void warranty if not done at time of order? Thank you to anyone that can help.

6. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

These are all personal preferences. If you have the money and aren't worried about it, I would suggest having Apple put the SSD in, that way you have no issues with their proprietary cables and don't have to control fan speeds.

If you'd like to save a few bucks, then go the third party route and buy a cheaper one from macsales.com or newegg.com. If you're skilled enough, you could do it yourself or pay a Apple Certified Repair company to do it for you.

Personally, it will be another couple of years before I jump onto the SSD wagon. The price is too high right now to justify faster boots and application open times. I can wait the 10 - 30 extra seconds.

7. Cole JM thread starter macrumors regular

I never said they werent, some people prefer to watch it being done.

8. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Yes. I was happy to see exactly how simple it can be. Thank you for posting the video.:D

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

10. Cole JM, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011

Cole JM thread starter macrumors regular