2011 iMac Ram Specifics?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Blazer5913, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

Just got myself a 2011 iMac i5 27" and wanted to up the RAM to 12GB. From my research, the "specifics" to look out for are DDR3, 1333, and 204pin. A previous poster led me to this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231295

which I just ordered. But then I came upon this thread and posts:

"After reading up on it some more alot of people say this ram will work with the 1333 ram, all it will do is downclock the factory one from 1333 to 1066."

"As the first comment that answered your question, the 1066's will work. But you're adding the risk of having two different RAM combos in your system which has been known to cause startup and OSX errors."

I'm starting to second guess myself that I got the wrong/right RAM? Can somebody just verify that I'll be okay and not at risk to downclock or startup errors? Sorry, I just don't know RAM that well, thanks so much... and absolutely loving this iMac, even with 4gb right now.

2. Sunday Ironfoot macrumors regular

The RAM in that link you posted is 1333MHz RAM, so will run at 1333 along with the 1333 factory installed RAM, no need to worry.

3. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much for the quick response, I was about to cancel my order and wait, but no need now. So there will be NO slowdown of the current memory in the iMac (supplied by Apple) or vice versa right? Just bumping the amount to 12gb but keeping its speed? Thanks!

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Yes, the ram is 133mhz. It will run at the same speed as the stock RAM in your iMac. Go ahead and buy it.

5. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

but why gskill? you should buy a better brand like crucial or OWC.

6. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

A poster originally turned me to the brand. After researching them more, it seems like a no-brainer. They have a lifetime warranty, and the tech support is insanely "supportive" haha, really if anything is wrong in the beginning or ever goes wrong, EVER, they are very quick to replace it. I guess I don't buy RAM enough to "keep up" with the leaders, but I'm trusting them. My order arrives this afternoon, will post my Geekbench scores before and after, as well as my impression of "gskill" haha. Now just need to find out if I can easily install them (I know the answer is yes, but I'm still hesitant of doing this myself). Deep breathes haha

7. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

I've installed the same brand on my iMac. Installation was laughably easy and quick. I was able to buy 8 GB of the 'Gskill' chips for $64.00.

8. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, $64 was a great steal for you. I managed to get it for like 72, plus 7 for shipping (I didn't want to wait for free shipping), but also got $10 off for a "new" customer discount (NEWCUSTOMER10). Anyways, my most difficult part was popping out the underbottom and actually moving around a 27" computer and feeling comfortable with it haha. Once I popped both in, moved it back, and powered it on... bam! What a nice feeling, seeing activity monitor showing 10gigs of RAM free. RAM! I mean, there were times on my Rev. B MacBook Air (upgraded 4gb of RAM) that it only showed 10GB of SSD space available. This is so great, and every day I have this computer, I know I made the right choice. Lovin it! Now come on Thunderbolt, give me an External HDD!

9. Gunner86 macrumors member

Installed 8gb of crucial 1066 ram in my 2011 imac, i made a mistake when orderering i ordered 1066 ram instead of 1333, all is ok though, the mac downclocked the factory memory from 1333 to 1066, the performance hit is not even noticable at all but hey i have 12gb of ram now haha....