2011 iMac regularly crashing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thakrars, Jun 12, 2013.

1. thakrars macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have a 2011 iMac, bought directly from Apple, but with no AppleCare, and for the last month or so it's been randomly crashing. Sometimes it could have more than once a day, other times maybe every 2-3 days, but it does happen, and regularly.

It's quite worrying because I only bought this 2 years ago, and paid a lot of money for it! I have pasted the error log below, is there any way anyone could diagnose it and try and figure out where the problem is?

Thank you :)

2. MeatRocket macrumors regular

I'm certainly no pro at diagnosing Mac products. However, I think this is telling you what the problem might be:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):
    com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros21(425.14.7)@0xc17000->0xce2fff
    dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6.5)@0x909000
    dependency: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family(320.1)@0xbf3000
    dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.10)@0xbdc000

To me, it looks like a problem with your network card driver or protocol stack. Maybe someone else will chime in.

3. thakrars thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump. Can anyone confirm above?

Thank you

4. macthefork, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013

macthefork macrumors 6502

Yep. To me it looks like a problem with the Airport Card, or more likely, a corrupt driver (com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros21). Are you connected to your internet through WiFi? If you are, try connecting with an ethernet cable to your router (or airport) to see if that helps.

Have you tried running a full Hardware Test from your Snow Leopard Disks to rule out the hardware?