2011 iMac: Replacing HDD & SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hexley, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Hexley macrumors 6502a

So gents, what is the final verdict? Can we swap out the Apple-supplied HDD with our drives?

Is this a straight swap or do we need to buy extra parts/tools to make it work?

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Found a good deal on a 256 mb crucial SSD on local CL: $300. Know a local mac authorized repair center than said it will install an ssd for $100, more or less.

Not the newest drive, but not bad for the price. Decent enough, or should I save a few more pennies for a Vertex?

3. Dresevski macrumors 6502

There are other threads that go over this. Some seem to work, others don't.

You have started a thread with this exact question, why are you trying to jack this? Get the Vertex 3...not sure what you're "waiting" for

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I started the thread after I jacked this one. Not a lot of help or feedback from that one, either. I'm waiting to see if I can get sata 3 speeds for half the price, to be honest.

5. Hexley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guys please do not jack this thread for parts-specific upgrade.

A great controversy arose concerning replacing HDD & SSD from Apple for parts supplied by the owner of the iMac.

I am looking to buy the Intel SSD as they publish their failure rate and have been in the game longer. Do not mind #2 place performance if it means a lesser chance of losing data.