2011 iMac resale value for 2012

Discussion in 'iMac' started by angusmcfisher, Jul 21, 2012.

1. angusmcfisher macrumors member

Hi guys,

Like a lot of you, I'm getting increasingly frustrated at Apple. As a semi-pro, my productivity is suffering on a 2009 MacBook Pro and unfortunately it has got to the stage where I really need to upgrade. I've been holding out (and admittedly wishing I had listened to the ones who said that if you need it now, buy it), but I've waited a long time now and can't give up on getting a 2012 iMac or equivalent. I've considered Hackintosh, but I need complete stability. I'm now thinking that if no iMac is released with Mountain Lion, that I will purchase the top 2011 iMac and then sell that on eBay, and buy the top 2012 iMac.

Assuming that they retail at the same price, how much can I expect to lose assuming that I have the 2011 iMac for 3 months? I would view a £200-400 loss as a worthwhile investment as it will be a massive increase in productivity.

Warmest regards,

Lee

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There's no way to tell, but for just one generation I wouldn't expect much more than a 10% decrease from the list price.

3. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Probably more. Do you not take into account Apple's own refurb prices? If the new iMac is a total redesign likely even a bigger drop.

4. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I am not so sure redesign will impact the price as much as if screen were to have retina. This is a desktop so I am not going to care so much if it has thin bezel or chin..

Now, if screen were to go from 27 to 30 inch.. now we are talking..

----------

IN fact, for me, I want 40 inch w/ retina display in distance future. That will make me upgrade from 2011 27 incher

5. mcpix macrumors regular

I agree with the previous poster about refurb prices. I see that all the time on my local Craigslist. You can often buy an iMac cheaper on the refurb store (with a 1 year warranty) than what some people are asking for their used iMac.

As far as how far the value will drop, it depends upon how extensive an upgrade we'll see. If it's simply a spec bump than your 2011 iMac will hold more value. If it includes a retina or even just an anti glare screen, than I think that will cause the value of older iMacs to drop more.

Having said all that, the 2011 iMac is a great machine. It will be much faster than your 2009 MBP (the same laptop I have). I would wait until next week to see what happens. If no new iMac by then, I would consider picking up one of the 2011 machines.

6. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I deleted the somewhat irrelevant part.

Now lets address the relevant segments .......

1) If the 2011 iMac will satisfy your need for increased productivity, then buy it.

2) If you buy the 2011 iMac and it satisfies your need for increased productivity there should be no need to sell it. Use it for a year or more then buy a new machine when the next model comes out.

What I would do is buy and use the 2011 iMac, and save the added income from the productivity increase it generates until you have enough to buy a second iMac then buy the next new model.

This way the 2011 iMac will more that pay for itself and the next one you buy.

7. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

It depends on the redesign. It might be more eye catching or sexy thin just like the new rMBP.
    But it could also means on board RAM sticks and leave no space to do any upgrade. Or even worse, thinner case could means less room and possibility of using higher end mGPU.

If that's the case .. I believe 2011 iMac will hold value more well. It will be like the last iMac with independent RAM slots or even SuperDrive? And it roughly would be just as fast, or even faster in a few case than a new one.

A few of my friends who just bought a newer Mac just envy me because I have this 2011 iMac bought on June last year, thus still came with SL install DVD, and it was eligible for Lion up-to-date program. It's been proven to be more useful to still have the OS DVD instead of mere Lion Recovery HD, I've used the disc 2 or 3 times for access/permission fix. Would've failed to do that with just Recovery HD.

It was a double kill for single machine.

A redesign doesn't always lead to a better looks, functions, or options. Sometime it's quite the opposite.

8. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Looking at some of the more optimistic listings on eBay the current iMac even a year old version is still high, I've seen some listed at the same retail price as NEW with no noticeable additions like a bigger HDD or more RAM.

This is also why I'd rather pay 10% more to get the same thing brand new from Apple than used on eBay.

9. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Couldn't blame them. Last year's iMac by far is the longest iMac revision available on shelves without any spec bump/redesign.

You can say they're totally outdated and outrageously priced without discount or anything, but it's still "the new iMac ... we gave it everything we've got" for Apple.

10. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

Mmmmm........40 inches.......well I guess we always have our tvs to make do with if you want big!

11. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

While the spec might not be the latest I could buy an iMac tomorrow and I know it will be much better than my current G5PM and would likely last me 3-5 years without the need to upgrade I just can bring myself to pay the same price as someone who bought one over 12 months ago.

I have notice stories online stating to same from many customers (in the know) I just wonder if Apple know or care what a few die hard fans think?

12. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I wish I had bought my iMac back sooner. I would have loved to have the option to run SL over Lion.

When I began running Lion I realized it broke some of the software I used and I had to wait for the software providers to come up with updates.

Now that was not much of a problem with software companies, but when the providers are hardware manufacturers they are not as fast to provide solutions.

Still using LION, and still having trouble with software provided by a certain camera manufacturer.