2011 Imac resurrection graphics card.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by terramir, Jun 2, 2017.

1. terramir macrumors newbie

terramir

OK I got my hand on a 2011 imac for 10bucks :) however it's got a green bar problem the mac store told me the hdd fan has some sort of problem , but according to the rpm still spinning. And the video card failed. They won't work on it because it's too dirty inside (history).
    This machine is sweet though, 16gb ram 2gb HDD 3.4 ghz processor and a 6970 graphics card.
    Now I seen some things online about baking it, then I saw something about it not being reballing it but chip internals that can be fixed by heating it to 120C and not 200C, well I dunno if it's the case with the 6970 gpu 2gb BTW. Anyone here have some insight with this particular gpu??.
    Thinking about replacing the HDD with a 850 pro samsung ssd 256 gb since that should make it quite snappy. I got one of those I can replace with a 240gb mushkin eco2 that would use less power in my lappy anyway.
    Since there is no guarantee the baking will work does anyone know the cheapest possible route to get this back in working order, I would not mind sacrificing the boot screen, although I would love knowing if there is any "windows" card that is known to be flash able and is significantly cheaper, because I really don't have the money to spare. I would not mind a slight hit in performance I wonder if there are any Nvidia cards that are newer but lower end that would come close but much cheaper.
    terramir

2. terramir thread starter macrumors newbie

terramir

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

It is working perfectly so far. And I've been gaming a lot, so it has definitely been pushed to its limits.

4. terramir thread starter macrumors newbie

terramir

5. terramir thread starter macrumors newbie

terramir

there are gtx 570 and gtx580 cards that can be flashed to work with efi, what about the 570m and 580m cards does anyone know if those are hackable?
    terramir

6. Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

Lucas Godfrey

The iMac has a MXM slot for the graphics card, I've not heard of any third party solutions for replacing the card. You may just need to have the card reflowed (hint: do not bake.) or replace it with the same card from ebay.

7. b06tmm macrumors regular

b06tmm

Having just encountered this issue with my mid-2011 27" iMac, I decided to go with the "oven" method for my 6970 video card. I took the average of what people did online and decided to bake it at 200C for 11 minutes. I also cleaned out all three fans and used K5-PRO for thermal paste.

I mangled the LVDS cable to the main-board upon reassembly so had to wait until today to put it back together. I also zeroed out the drives thinking of parting it out if the new cable didn't work, so that's why I'm reinstalling the OS.

I'm happy to say that I'm here now!

[​IMG]

This machine has been on 24/7 since I bought it and will update this if the card fails again.

8. terramir thread starter macrumors newbie

terramir

Thinking if I get it running to also drill a bunch of holes right by the graphics sink maybe even add a small fan on the outside suckling air out depending on the Temps will use a decent pattern just so it also looks good in case I decide to sell it later after I fix it.
    I can 3d print a fan shroud. If needed.
    But short of finding a card with a 6870 chip and flow it off and flow it on. Leaving the 6970 chip on there without doing some sort of cooling mod is bound to end back in the fried zone eventually. If I see enough room to add a fan internally to force the heat out of the sink and to the vent the only thing I will need to find is some power to power the fan. As other peeps have stated 70 C all good 90C that 6970 chip is ship p=t if you get my drift.
    but really if I could find a stable gpu that can be efi modded that would be better though cause I would love a fully working mac.
    terramir

9. b06tmm macrumors regular

b06tmm

My fans were really dirty and by cleaning them I'm sure I improved their cooling ability greatly. I also installed smcFanControll and can boost the fans any time I see the temps rise too much.

10. WaferGuy, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017

WaferGuy macrumors newbie

For those who have a mid-2011 iMac with Sierra (10.12), do you see fan speed increase when ODD shoot up above 70C?

My ODD fan stays at 1150 rpm even ODD temperature reaches 80C! I have to use "Macs Fan Control" to adjust fan to 2700 rpm. Then, temperature comes down below 70C.

I wonder if we are seeing a (Sierra) SMC software bug in mid-2011 iMac machines!?