Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbrienza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Okay so obviously not, but I knew this would get your attention. Here is my concept of what I think the new imac should look like. Small chin and almost borderless. Please post what you speculate the new imac may look like and not just what you think would be nice but try to base it on what you have heard.

Attachments

• Imac2011.jpg
    Imac2011.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 253
  • imac2011 part2 copy.jpg
    imac2011 part2 copy.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

flipster

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Boston
Wheres the heat, ram and speakers going to go?

I like the edge to edge screen, but the chin gives the iMac it's sexiness, and it needs to be there for logical purposes

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
Okay so obviously not, but I knew this would get your attention. Here is my concept of what I think the new imac should look like. Small chin and almost borderless. Please post what you speculate the new imac may look like and not just what you think would be nice but try to base it on what you have heard.

I'd prefer the words to stay on the screen of my Mac. However, if Apple figured out how to infuse helium into the fonts, that is revolutionary.

All kidding aside, I'd buy it. I'd also take the current edition though. A redesign this year about a 30 to one chance.

mbrienza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
It’s true that they probably won’t do a redesign tell next year. One thing that makes it seem more promising is the fact that the majority of Apples sales are coming from their portable devices Steve Jobs noted this recently.
If they want to grab some more market share in the PC category which is important for them to keep growing exponentially they need to keep stepping it up and separating themselves from the rest. I think one day soon they will learn how to create the I-sight right in the screen, one that hides when you’re not using it. Also I wouldn’t worry about where the speakers or other things will be, John Ive will come up with something amazing I'm sure.
I think the black border really defines the product as being an Apple product but eventually they will do away with all the fluff as you know apple is a contemporary minimalist company they go for sleek and sophisticated and they somehow manage to do it in smaller and smaller spaces.
One other reason why I think they will go borderless when they have the ability is because they have done so on Safari and even with the full screen feature in the OS Lion. Could you imagine looking at your picture or video as if someone is holding it up and it’s right in front of you instead of a frame to distract you, that would be something revolutionary! Steve I hope your reading this!

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Here is my concept of what I think the new imac should look like. Small chin and almost borderless.

Eventually many displays could go borderless by carefully rounding the screen glass at the edge. That may be precisely why Steve is moving away from matte screens.

Then the iMac will resemble a big iPad, much like your concept.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I never realized that a Mac can be reveled.

Seriously, it's posts like these that make me wish they had a "Page 2" in the forums.

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
i don't get why people are so obsessed with this whole "borderless" thing. I know most things in OSX are borderless, but having a borderless screen is just a horrible idea

Stan Mikulenka

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Hi,
border-less Monitors or TVs can NOT be build with today's technology yet.
Even so called 'Borderless' monitors from Samsung for their 'EyeFinity' 3 and 6 - screen displays look like these:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-07 at 2.06.15 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-07 at 2.06.15 AM.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 288

Emathieu

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
If we totally get rid of the "chin", then that means that the iMac will have to become considerably thicker (those components have to go somewhere!). Personally, I'll prefer to keep the "chin" rather than see it get thicker.

Unless we are talking about many years from now when the iMac can be as thin as the new iPad (if there is even still an iMac by then... ;) ).

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
It is a great design, and if Steve had come out with it then its detractors would all be cheering for it.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
It is a great design, and if Steve had come out with it then its detractors would all be cheering for it.

Keep telling yourself that.

This mockup is rubbish. Jobs would fire the guy who even came up with this monstrosity just for thinking of it.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
I would like to have a non-glossy display in my iMac. Those glossy displays really suck, I don't understand why Apple build them in iMac 27".

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
This mockup is rubbish. Jobs would fire the guy who even came up with this monstrosity just for thinking of it.

Yes, Steve would fire that person, but only if he couldn't pretend that he thought of it.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

Don't think so....;)

mbrienza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
i don't get why people are so obsessed with this whole "borderless" thing. I know most things in OSX are borderless, but having a borderless screen is just a horrible idea

This one is for all you haters
I guess this would be your take on the next Imac…
Geniuses!

Attachments

• edge.jpg
    edge.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 94

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Hi,
border-less Monitors or TVs can NOT be build with today's technology yet.
Even so called 'Borderless' monitors from Samsung for their 'EyeFinity' 3 and 6 - screen displays look like these:
Bingo. Current large LCD tech just isn't that thin at the borders yet.

It's an Apple Cinema Display, not an iMac. If you read that page, you would know that. :rolleyes:
LOL! Burned!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.