2011 iMac SSD+2TB HD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ZMacintosh, Jun 20, 2011.

1. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

I set up my admin account and use Migration assistant to transfer over my user account from my 2011 MacBook Pro. seems fine, though it created a "home folder (from old mac)" in my SSD drive.

Also I cannot access the 2TB drive; well specifically I cannotmove files over there as it says: "The items cant be moved because Macintosh HD2 can't be modified". ?

Any recommendations? probably just start fresh again?

I dont mind if I have to do that, but seemed like after the migration it was alittle wonky.
    cust the user i transferred over was just a basic standard account wiht applications as well.

2. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

The reason is that you need to set up one or more folders at the root level of your HDD for the files belonging to your standard account.

To do this, log in to an account which has Admin rights, and create the folder(s). I actually made just one with the name of my standard account. It contains subfolders for docs, pics etc. I created these subfolders when logged in as standard.

Now before you log out of your Admin account, set up permissions on the folders. Select folder, choose Get Info (Command-I), and set up read and write access for your standard account. Also restrict access from other accounts as you see fit.

Log out of Admin account and back in as Standard, and now you can do whatever you want in those folders!

3. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

By the way, it's better to use Setup Assistant than Migration Assistant.