2011 iMAC SSD + HDD. HDD not idleing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Denisoftus, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Denisoftus macrumors member

Hey guys!
    I've just moved from PC to MAC and very happy so far, except a few ridiculous issues. I will probably post a full list of useful things I had with Windows and lack with OSX, but not today.

Today my question is, where OS is installed on SSD, I still hear HDD up and running, when:
    1. iMAC is starting (well that's understandable, though I don't see the reason why not prevent it)
    2. Occasionally with no reason it starts then stops in 15-20 min
    3. I open some apps

My understanding was if every OS file is on the SSD drive why bother to start HDD. First its noticeable, I can hear its working, a sort of humming noise, not loud, but still. And second, every unnecessary start/stop will probably lead to hard drive failure in the long term, again why start it?

I hope someone will suggest something.

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

You might refer to this for help:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10346924-263.html

You can customize the settings in Energy Saver Control Panel...

You you could just unmount the HD by dragging it to the trash, but you would need to restart if you wanted to use the HD again.

3. Denisoftus, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

Denisoftus thread starter macrumors member

Good suggestion, I'd definitely go for shorter time to sleep as per article, not sure if unmounting is a good idea, I still want to use it occasionally without restart.

Thought it would be great if OS can be smart enough to keep it off until I really need it. Will see if Lion can handle this.

Update: Just tried unmounting the drive and, of course, it stopped. But after awaking from the sleep its running, even not being seen in Finder.

4. Denisoftus thread starter macrumors member

Confirmed this morning, its waking from sleep and starting the HDD, no matter it mounted or not.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

you can actually go into Disk Utility click on the Drive Partition and select unmount to put it offline and Mount to bring it back online -- no need to restart.

Have you checked put hard disks to sleep when possible?

6. Denisoftus thread starter macrumors member

I had it done first time I booted the iMAC. But in fairness it's doing it right, just I see no reason why to start it again and over again every time its of from sleeping. And sometimes without any reason, just while I'm browsing.
    It starts, then runs for 10 min (default I presume, thoungh I had it down to 5 for argument sake) and stops. Then starts again in an hour and stops.

There are no files on the drive except pictures.

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Gotcha. Ive noticed as well when I had my external drives hooked up and even simple browsing or checking mail theyd wake from sleep for a while as the application references any connected storage device to pre-seek for any files that might associated with that app.

8. Denisoftus thread starter macrumors member

Yep, and it would be great if you know the way of disabling those checks :) I paid extra 500 not just for the sake of performance but also to have as silent as possible workstation.

9. Denisoftus thread starter macrumors member

Just tried same with external USB drive and I can confirm its staring everytime iMAC wakes from the sleep.