2011 iMac -> SSD/HDD which drive temp shows?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by randyharris, Nov 14, 2014.

1. randyharris macrumors regular

I upgraded my 2011 iMac with a DIY Fusion Drive about a year ago. Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD and a Seagate 3TB HDD, works great! Not as fast as pure SSD, but much better than pure HDD and I have over 3TB capacity. Best compromise for me.

When I look at the drive operating temp, I am guessing that's the temp of the SSD, not the HDD??? Can anybody verify this?

I think because my SSD is mounted under the Optical drive without any fans or good airflow that is causing it to run a bit hotter, which in turn makes my drive fan operate more faster and more loudly than I'd prefer. Considering putting a little fan in the case which points at the SSD to help keep the drive temp lower and the system drive fan spinning lower and quieter.

Thanks!

2. harrydebest macrumors newbie

Did you remove the ODD and replace it with the SSD? Or did you somehow put the SSD "under" the ODD. As far as I know, the only heat sensor connected to drives is the HDD one. Therefore the drive temperature should be that of your 3TB Seagate drive rather than the SSD since there is no sensor connected to the SSD. If your fans are at full speed it means that there is a problem with the heat sensor connected to your HDD. There is no way a SSD can heat up so much that a fan is needed.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2390+Hard+Drive+Replacement/8919

Have a look at step 10, did you connect the sensor cable correctly?