2011 iMac SSD Options

Discussion in 'iMac' started by weezin, May 1, 2013.

1. weezin macrumors member

I've decided that I need to add an SSD to my iMac to speed up performance a bit (Lightroom specifically).

My model (27" base) has a 1 TB dog slow hard drive.

What are my options?

1. Replace 1TB drive with interenal SSD
    2. Add internal SSD along with 1TB drive
    3. Use an external SSD via Thunderbolt and boot off of that

I'm a bit squeamish about taking my iMac apart, but the idea of shipping it also doesn't sound so great (I don't have the original packaging).

That's why I was initially leaning toward a Thunderbolt SSD.

What would you do? Or, what have you done?

2. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

I'll be doing the exact same thing to the exact same computer very soon. I'll be adding the SSD along with the 1TB. The Thunderbolt SSD road is an option and is just as fast as an internal, but you have the added expense of the external enclosure and cable, which are all pretty expensive now. Except for this:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Porta...367418161&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+thunderbolt

If the price is good, and you're squeamish about opening your iMac, this might be a good choice. Just make sure you read the reviews. (I'm not a fan of Seagate personally...) I have enough externals sitting around though and the last thing I need is another. I don't have a problem with cracking my iMac open.

What I would not do is replace the 1TB with the SSD. Keeping it in there will provide you with more options (having your Home folder on it, it's faster internally and externally, etc.)