2011 iMac SSD replacement.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TechZeke, Jul 29, 2014.

1. TechZeke, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014

TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I want to revitalize my still-fast 2011 iMac.

I want to put in 16GB of RAM, and replace the original HDD and go 100% SSD. I was looking at taking out my original 7200 3.5" HDD, put it in an enclosure, then put in a Crucial mx100 512GB in the main bay.

I've worked inside computers before, but an iMac will be a new a challenge. If you also know a good place I could pay someone to have it done for me for cheap, that would also be help, though I may just open it up anyway just to gain the experience. My iMac was paid with cash and the AppleCare just expired so warranty isn't an issue.

There are plenty of videos and tutorials, what I specifically can't find is what type of 3.5" bracket you need to put in an SSD in the main HD bay and where toget the special cooling wire needed so the fans don't spin out of control.

EDIT: Okay, so found the thermal cable thing, but I still can't find anywhere that says if there is a special 3.5" bracket you would need for the 2.5" SSD.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Any adapter bracket will work as long as it conforms to the dimensions and hole placements for a 3.5". No need for the thermal sensor. Apple themselves simply short pins 2 and 7 of the power connector. to get the fan spin at minimum. You can also just use a fan control program like hddfancontrol.