2011 iMac SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by simps100, Oct 10, 2012.

1. simps100 macrumors regular

Hi all

Considering putting a solid state drive in my 2011 27" core i5 iMac, the question i have is how would i go about getting the OS back on the machine?

It didnt come with any CD's or anything so not sure where to start with this! Moved over from windows recently so all new to me!

Cheers

Marc

2. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

Clone your HDD to your SSD before installing using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Then install the SSD. You'll pickup right where you left off.

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Might be able to redownload the Mountain Lion installer (I saved mine) from the AppStore and do a fresh install if ya' want too, but cloning is easiest.

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

You can use Disk Utility to duplicate your HDD to the SSD before you intall it.

5. simps100 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok cool sounds easy enough! I know the general recommendations for windows machine was a clean install, i guess i need to get used to the "it just works" :p

Thanks all! :)

6. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Really? I cloned mine no problem.

7. robster2644 macrumors newbie

I have just installed a OCZ 128gb in to my 2011 Imac 21.5". I used the kit from Ifixit which came in no time. I also used there guide which was also simple to follow.

I then cloned the drive after installation, I suppose you can do it before, but I don't thin you need to, I would do it once its in to ensure it all works before carrying on with anything, may be leave the HDD intact until you are sure it all works. I had some small issue with permissions and enabling TRIM.

I hope all goes well. give me a shout if you need any help.

Regards

Robbie

8. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

You can clone before or after, doesn't really matter. Doing it before lets you confirm the new drive by booting it as an external. If anything is wrong (like a bad unit), you still have a working machine during any troubleshooting or recovery time.

9. robster2644 macrumors newbie

I understand this, although I was that excited I just wanted to get in after testing the drive worked. Get it in properly and then clone, just passing on my experience. i have never done this before and I did a logical and the fasted way possible.

Each to there own.

10. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I tend to do fresh installs when I put in a new hard drive, just a nice chance to clean things up and free up some space that wasn't being used for anything critical.