2011 iMac (still under warranty) reads SD cards but not micro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by madeirabhoy, Mar 29, 2014.

1. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

it worked before with the same cards.

all of a sudden, well i say that but i don't use a lot of sd cards.

ive noticed my 27" iMac doesn't even notice when some sd cards are in the slot, particularly micro sd cards in an adaptor. i have 4 cards and 3 different adaptors and none of them even show a flicker of recognition.

however my 8 gig proper sd card shows up straight away. weirdly a colleague gave me a 32 gig micro card to put some films on and i thought it wouldn't work but it appeared straight away. this was using one of my adaptors.

but a selection of 32meg (its as free!) 2 gig, 4 gig, 8 gig ones done. the cards all work in my phone.

in two minds, its no so important but its annoying. i bought the machine ex display model only mid last year so its still under guarantee but i live on a wee island so it'll be a month away to get fixed. i took back the mouse to get fixed and it was a month to the day before they gave me a brand new one. thats the thing though, might they just give me a newer model rather than fix it.

2. skinny*k macrumors regular

I suspect that its the adapters. Try putting a layer or two of business card stock behind the card when you put it in—to force a better connection between the contacts—then, if you can use the card… you’ll need a new adapter.

I wish that I could recommend a good brand or model, but I don’t think that anybody makes a good one. :(

3. The-Pro macrumors 65816

The SD slots on all my macs are very weird, sometimes they recognize and sometimes they dont.

Make sure however that the cards you are using are
    a) the correct file format
    b) a supported type of card. I dont think the 2011 imac has an SDXC card slot, so if the micro sd cards are sdxc i suspect they wont work

I have had many crappy adapter, a lot either just dont work or are only compatible with cards by the same manufacturer. My kingston micro sd card only works with a kingston adapter, and the same with my transcand cards.

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

The 2010 iMac came with an SDXC slot, so does the 2011. It's probably faulty connexion of the adapter. Try wiggle it around when inserted in the iMac or squaze the adapter a bit.