2011 iMac to 2012 cMBP Advice?


macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm debating on selling my iMac in my sig because Im sick of waiting for a refresh. I would either get a 13-inch: 2.9 GHz or 15-inch: 2.3 GHz 2012 cMBP. I don't do anything extensive, the ONLY thing I would miss is the 27" screen. I would add my 240GB SSD and 16GB RAM to either the 13" or 15".

Id really want Ivy Bridge and USB3.0. The most extensive thing I do is Photoshop and porn viewing lol. Like I said, I would REALLY miss a gorgeous 27" display though. I thought about getting a refurb TB Display and MBP to have the best of both worlds, but Im not sure if it worth the cost. Advice, suggestions?

My current iMac is "fast enough" I just would also like to be mobile if needed. Given I dont need to be mobile much.
Last edited:

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
Hold on, you're thinking about selling your iMac as you can't be bothered to wait for the new one? How does that make any sense?
One assumes he's just desperate for new technology to watch his pornography on, and Apple aren't delivering on the iMac side.


macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2012
There isn't that much between Ivy Bridge and Sandy bridge processors, so I would stick with what you have got and get some Thunderbolt storage instead personally.


macrumors 6502
May 13, 2005
Reading "between the lines" of your post, it sounds like your iMac is working fine for you. However, like many of us here, you want to have the latest and greatest.

You could go the cMBP and 27" Thunderbolt display route, but that's an awfully expensive way to go. Plus, having a laptop hooked up to an external display is not the same as an all in one.

Why don't you add something to your system to make it feel new again? You could buy a bigger SSD, or as the previous poster suggested, an external thunderbolt drive.


macrumors 601
Good question.

<quick web search>

Huh. Apparently, yes.

Trouble is, I opted for a great deal on a two month old 17" late 2011 on CL, so I don't own a retina. (And I think Best Buy and the Apple Store may have 'issues' with trying it on their display models.)