2011 iMac vs 2010 15" MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dndandrea, Jul 21, 2011.

1. dndandrea macrumors 6502

2010 15" MacBook Pro
    2.4 GHz Core i5
    4GB RAM
    320GB Hard Drive
    Intel HD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256MB

2011 21.5" iMac
    2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    4GB RAM
    500GB Hard Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB

The college I go to has an apple store and they are selling the old MacBook pros for $300 less even though they are brand new not refurbished or open box.

The MBP would be $1399 and the iMac would be $1149. I have an iPad and a forum but I go to school and I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle it with just an iPad. This is my first semester with an iPad after I sold my old MBP in the past.

Its not like I need a super fast computer but I want something that I'll be able to sell in the future if I need to. In this case however the cheaper one is faster but has no mobility like the MacBook pro. Can someone gimme some advice or comparisons, thanks!

2. The Artemis macrumors newbie

Unless your school bundles a warranty with the MBP, it may be in your better interests to go with that same computer (assuming it is the one you choose) refurbished from Apple. That will let you pocket the $130 difference. Since you already have an iPad for (limited) mobile computing, an iMac will certainly let you buy a more powerful computer with your money.

3. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    the iMac would be faster etc, yet the MBPro would be far more 'resaleable' in the future - in my opinion - and probably more suitable to your situation

4. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

The MacBook pro is brand new so it will still have the 1 year warranty that comes with the iMac. Ive heard good things and bad things about refurbs so I stay away from them to say the least and also those are out of stock in the refurb isle.

The MBP might have an easier time selling but do you think theyd be about the same price when I go to resell anyways? I almost bought an iMac today but my debit card has a protection limit so I have to wait until tomorrow when the banks open to buy it unless I change my mind.

5. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

Can anyone else chime in before I make the move today? I'm gonna go withdraw the money on my lunch break and probably buy the iMac later tonight at the apple store.