2011 iMac WiFi issue, resolved yet?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FrankySavvy, Aug 13, 2011.

1. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

So anyone figure out the 2011 iMac WiFi issue yet? Its a bug in Lion we know, but are there any workarounds until Lion gets an update?

Thanks,
    Franky

2. wxman2003 Suspended

I didn't know there was an issue. I have a 2011 iMac with Lion installed, and have had no problems with my airport extreme router. Works perfectly.

3. Tiggs macrumors 6502

Same, not seeing any WiFi issues on my 2011 iMac running Lion. What problems are you experiencing? Could it be a base station issue?

4. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Airport will say it is connected, however when I go to Safari and hit one of my bookmarks, it doesn't respond just keeps loading on a blank page.

Doesn't happen on the bootcamp side.

5. Cripps macrumors regular

I have not had any problems whatsoever with 2011 iMac + Lion + Draytek router.

6. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I have only seen this issue occur twice and only once did I have to turn off and on the WiFi. The second time that it occurred it connected after a short period of time on its own. Of the three Macs (2011 27" iMac, 2009 17" Macbook Pro and a 2009 Mac-Mini), that I have clean installed Lion on, only the iMac has had the issue really only once. I should note that I am using a dual band airport extreme base station.

7. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Its definitely a bug with a driver or something. Could only happen with a weaker signal, I only get about a signal strength of 60%.

8. Lethcoeb macrumors newbie

I have this problem also

Not everyday but enough that its annoying
    I have fully loaded 27" 2011 iMac (SSD + HD), sitting in the exact same location as my 2007 24" iMac used to sit
    I lose my connection with my Airport Extreme about every 3-5 days (never happened with the 24" iMac)
    When I check, I usually find that one of my neighbor's WiFi channels has matched my channel
    If I change channels, usually stay connected, until such time as one of my neighbor's WiFi channels changes again
    Considering a 5th Gen Airport Extreme dual band to take advantage of a different channel set
    Biggest issue is losing connection for Home Sharing
    But waiting for now...

9. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

It seems to snag on certain webpages, the address bar starts to cycle multiple versions of the same page, then freezes while loading, then I can't open any page.

My 2010 Macbook Pro with Lion has no problem, loading the same pages on the same router while this is happening on the iMac.

10. wxman2003 Suspended

I have istumbler loaded on both my macbook and iMac. Both also have Lion installed. I have the airport extreme dual band router. I set both computers side by side and ran istumbler. Both show about 60% signal strength on channel 10. However on channel 149, the iMac shows a signal strength around 60%, while the macbook shows 35%.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Strange

I use my iMac with a draytek wireless router AP ex. And have no issues at all.

I have not heard of a "Bug" in Lions wifi either. Maybe you need to contact support....could be a hardware issue.

12. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

It is a known issue, search 2011 iMac wifi issue. Seems users running Lion with a 2011 iMac have this issue. Seems like a Software glitch, could be also dependent on signal strength and other issues.

13. wxman2003 Suspended

I have a 2011 iMac and do not have that problem. Maybe be it's with certain routers because my airport extreme works great with my iMac. It almost sounds like the same problems they were having when the original iPad came out.

14. Spike88, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Yes. There is a known problem with Lion and wifi - on some iMacs.

For a "work around" (until an update / patch) is released, surf: http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/08/mac-...-bash-script-to-maintain-wireless-connection/

Note: Within above "URL, read all the reader comments. Seems others have found "better" work-arounds. Might want to try those other suggested fixes as well.

Hope this helps...