2011 iMac with Logitech Z5500 Surround sound ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zepharus, Jun 23, 2011.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Iv just ordered and iMac in my total switch from my PC gaming rig. I hope some here might be able to help with a sound question I have.

1) I use an Xfi Titanium in my PC, in conjunction with my Logitech Z5500 5.1 speaker system. This has a setting in the Xfi drivers that basically allows sound to com from all speakers , not just the front one when using voice chat etc.

Will there be any way at all to replicate this in OS X? Ill be hooking up the speaker system with a mini digital to optical cable.

2. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I used to have a Logitech Z5500....OSX can't do what you're asking, but you'll be able to play proper 5.1 audio when watching DVDs through DVD player.

But your Logitechs have a setting to play in DLPII, which will give you audio on all channels, just not discreetly.

3. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

So if I set the speakers to use DLPII from the control unit, I will get simultaneous audio from all speakers? If so that is the ticket

4. Icaras, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Well actually, DLPII won't give even signals....I forgot what the setting is called though...I'm sure if you cycle through all the settings you'll hear it...There must only be like 5 or something modes. Try them all.

Edit: 2X Stereo will give you 4.1 sound with even signals for the fronts and rears, but I don't think the center speaker works in this mode.

5. andrei.barbuta macrumors regular

I have a Z5500 and can confirm Icaras's post. 2xStero will give 4.1 sound without a center channel. It does have a DPII Music option which makes it sound like you're at a concert. Breaks up the sounds, some are thrown from the rear some from the front, and vocals are higher in the center channel. It's a pretty nice option for live recordings from concerts. For example i have the Jay Z and Linkin Park MTV mashup. It was recorded in a club, it sounds great because you hear the people singing in the back and makes you feel like you're in the front row.
    Alas, for pure sound listening 2xStereo is the option. Pure sound, no processing.

6. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Hmm Ok sounds like that is the deal then. Thanks for the input