Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KidStallyn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
So, I bought a DisplayPort to Mini-Display port cable for my Dell work laptop so that I extend my display onto my new iMac 27" display when I work from home. Tried it out last night, only to find out that the new 27" iMacs with Thunderbolt don't allow for Target Display Mode UNLESS it's a Thunderbolt driving the display. This also means, any MacBook Pros or Mac Mini's that aren't Tuhunderbolt will not be able to drive this display as an external monitor.

I'm hoping they come out with a fix......Sure sux that I can't use my 27" of awesomeness on my Dell......

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
sorry you're just finding out now. but yeah its been discussed since they were introduced and the first tests on them were made.
Not sure if a thunderbolt specific cable maybe able to change that or some form of firmware but as of now TB to TB devices only it seems. Unless you want to put multiple displays to your new iMac.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
That is a pity. I had plans along similar lines but I guess I'll have to splash out for second monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.