2011 iMac - Would any 6770M work?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by david04, Dec 1, 2014.

1. david04 macrumors newbie

2. Render macrumors newbie

Hi david04, when I first read your post I was thinking you meant you got a 6970M since there is a known problem with some models of this card with same artifacts and distortion issues, I suppose you already know this, and as you'll know that Apple's replacement program is only for 2011 27" iMac's 6970M cards.

So regarding your question, one mate from another thread, who changed the original AMD card with one nvidia PC card, found a problem when upgrading OS X. He was running Mavericks with blank boot screen but after upgrading, all he can see is a full time blank screen.

Apple has changed their security policy on Yosemite to restrict unsigned 3rd party drivers, that is a fact, but I'm not sure if this is the actual problem or it's just a coincidence and it's just a question of waiting new nvidia web drivers. Read my last post on this thread

Greetings

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

When I fiddled with this a year ago, general consensus was that a card needs Apple's vbios to work in an iMac, regardless of drivers.

4. Render macrumors newbie

Actually seems that it's not exactly that way. Current cards compatibles with both BIOS and UEFI, work by default (at least until Yosemite) on OS X, they just loose the boot screen. The need for flashing the EEPROM with Apple's EFI has to do with that issue, to recover boot screen.

But until now, I haven't seen anyone which has been able to do it without changing the EEPROM chip on a MXM card. Correct me if I'm wrong cause that is exactly what I need to do