Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeraus7

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2015
Hello everyone, I am looking at getting an iMac for some video editing and photo editing. I will be using footage from my Gopro hero 4 black which would be filming at 2.7K 60fps and 720p 240fps. I would like to use FCPX and Adobe After Effects. After effects for the 3D text which I like. Also using Photoshop and Lightroom for editing RAW photos of my DSLR. The iMac I am looking at is a 2011 21.5" model with a quad core i7, 8gb RAM and a 1TB HDD. I would maybe upgrade the RAM later to 16gb if necessary. The price for this is a little over $1000, I do have quite a small budget at the moment as I am only 14 and do not earn too much monthly.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I used to have that model, but with an ssd. The i7 in that machine will still perform better than a lot of the currently selling brand new i5 macs Apple offers. That said, $1k is too much for that machine at this point. It's 4 years old with 4 years of wear on the components and no warranty (I assume). Any problems come up and you're on the hook for (a lot) more money for repairs.

Tldr: perfectly good Mac for what you want but too expensive.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Hello everyone, I am looking at getting an iMac for some video editing and photo editing. I will be using footage from my Gopro hero 4 black which would be filming at 2.7K 60fps and 720p 240fps. I would like to use FCPX and Adobe After Effects. After effects for the 3D text which I like. Also using Photoshop and Lightroom for editing RAW photos of my DSLR. The iMac I am looking at is a 2011 21.5" model with a quad core i7, 8gb RAM and a 1TB HDD. I would maybe upgrade the RAM later to 16gb if necessary. The price for this is a little over $1000, I do have quite a small budget at the moment as I am only 14 and do not earn too much monthly.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

You can get a refurbed 2013 iMac for $1,100 with virtually the same specs. I suggest you max out the RAM (in either case), but that 2011 model is overpriced considering that the newer Apple refurb comes with a warranty.

You may find that the 1TB HDD is slow for you in either model; an SSD or fusion drive would work better for your disk-intensive activities. You should also consider buying a cheaper model - like this 2014 model with a 500GB HDD - and adding an SSD to it like the excellent ones from OWC. It'll be about $1200 when you're done, but far better than either of the other options, IMHO.

Zeraus7

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2015
You can get a refurbed 2013 iMac for $1,100 with virtually the same specs. I suggest you max out the RAM (in either case), but that 2011 model is overpriced considering that the newer Apple refurb comes with a warranty.

You may find that the 1TB HDD is slow for you in either model; an SSD or fusion drive would work better for your disk-intensive activities. You should also consider buying a cheaper model - like this 2014 model with a 500GB HDD - and adding an SSD to it like the excellent ones from OWC. It'll be about $1200 when you're done, but far better than either of the other options, IMHO.

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that I'm in Australia so all prices are in AUD.
1,000.00 AUD = 773.794 USD
And we don't have any refurbished iMacs on the Australian Apple Store.

Thanks

Zeraus7

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2015
I used to have that model, but with an ssd. The i7 in that machine will still perform better than a lot of the currently selling brand new i5 macs Apple offers. That said, $1k is too much for that machine at this point. It's 4 years old with 4 years of wear on the components and no warranty (I assume). Any problems come up and you're on the hook for (a lot) more money for repairs.

Tldr: perfectly good Mac for what you want but too expensive.

This is the link to iMac. They are an Australian seller.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251970437788&globalID=EBAY-AU

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that I'm in Australia so all prices are in AUD.
1,000.00 AUD = 773.794 USD
And we don't have any refurbished iMacs on the Australian Apple Store.

Thanks
Ah. Well that's different then. That's much closer to a fair price for that Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.