2011 iMacs - SSD and HDD user upgradeble?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ProphetX, May 6, 2011.

1. ProphetX macrumors regular

Basically I'm wanting to know if I can buy a 27" iMac spec'd out on the CPU and GPU side. And the with the ram and hdd at the bare minimum or 4th and 1tb respectively. And then turn around, go to owc and get my ram and ssd upgrade through them and install myself.

I do consider myself adequate at performing these pc building and having experience performing such upgrades on my mbp's.

Thanks,

2. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Do you have more than 1Tb of stuff that needs to be on an internal drive?

And from what I have read -- the SSD needs special parts. No DIY.

4. 0815 macrumors 68000

That was the best news about the teardown of the new iMac. When they where introduced, I was disappointed that they didn't have the 500GB SSD option which was a show stopper for me ... but now I might get one and add the nice 500GB SSD to it. Was way to complicated with the old iMacs ... for the new ones it looks really easy.

5. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

6. 0815 macrumors 68000

I'm using a SSD (256GB) since over a year (almost two now) in my MacBook and one in another machine since almost a year and they didn't fail yet :) .... and a good backup is always a must, no matter if you have SSD or HD. I had plenty of HD fail on me - backup is a must no matter what. And as always: do some research about the brand and if possible the model you buy, that will reduce the risk of failing a lot (true for SSD and HD).

But having used SSDs in multiple machines now, there is no way I will ever go back to the old HD.

7. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi 0815,
    it's just a warning - this is my SSD:

Attached Files:

8. peregrines macrumors member

Is there any news about upgrading the 2011 Imac with SSD?

I ordered the i5 2011 27-inch model along with Intel`s X-25-m 120GB and I am planning to install it right on delivery (11th of may).

I am just scared of removing the mainboard ... so any tips are VERY much appreciated!

Thanks!