2011 Lion Air: Anyone using 5GHz wifi N ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by OSMac, Jan 30, 2012.

1. OSMac, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

OSMac macrumors 65816

With a 2011 Lion based Air on wifi N 5GHz,
    keep getting connection timeouts, but it works fine on 2.4GHz.

Anyone using 5GHz successfully with Lion and a new Air ?

It will often connect the 1st time,
    but after sleeping or a restart it will not find the 5GHz network
    and attempting to connect will give a timeout error.

I'd prefer to use 5GHz as I get double the transfer rates.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Works fine for me, also my iPad and iPhone....the culprit is probably your router rather than the Air, but if in doubt, get it checked out....It's new after all.

3. thankins macrumors 6502

I have the same issue - its a bug in Lion. Try turning off your bluetooth - that seems to help me and the rest of the masses

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3505515?start=15&tstart=0

4. OSMac, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

The iPhone does not support 5GHz N?

Searching the web reveals many Lion users have the 5GHz issue with Apple and 3rd party routers.

----------

Thanks for the link, seems many have this issue, surprised its not fixed :(

Still not resolved I guess, users who can downgrade to Snow Leopard report its only an issue with Lion, but we can not downgrade a 2011 Air.

Turning off bluetooth did not help here.

I've had some success just now with changing the 5GHz SSID and setting it to use a low fixed channel instead of auto. Have to see if it keeps working...

5. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    what version of Lion are you on? I used to have this problem and can't remember which update solved it for me, but have not had any of the wake from sleep wifi issues any more. I'm running 10.7.3, 11D46, but it had to have been 5 or 6 revisions prior that solved the problem. I'm connected to a 4th ten Time Capsule that had serious connection issues from the start, including connecting to the Time Machine backup, but again, these have all been resolved for months now.

I would suggested downloading the latest update and see how it plays out for you.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

All except my iMac came with Lion pre-installed, which may account for the troubles....My iMac is hardwired to the router, although wifi is enabled for my printer.

Iphone? DOH!:eek: iPad does though.

7. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Guess you have a developers build?

Mine shows its on 10.7.2 (11C74) and no updates are available.

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes, I am using a N network on the 5 GHz channel without timeout issues. I have intermittent issues with reconnecting after waking up from sleep. Most people have this issue and it's related to Lion and not specifically the MBA, since I have the problem using a Mac Mini as well.

I can replicate the problem on G and N networks, at both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz channels.

----------

10.7.3 is indeed a developer's build.

----------

Impossible. The iPhone does not work at the 5 GHz channels.

9. bill-p macrumors 65816

The iPhone doesn't support 5GHz networks indeed... but the iPad does.

On a more serious note, some devices simply refuse to play nice with 5GHz, and depending on the setup, I find that 5GHz offers very minimal benefits over 2.4GHz, but it comes at some grave expense of range and connection quality.

10. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

I installed bootcamp on the Air just now.
    In Windows 7 the Air connects perfectly to the 5GHz network everytime.

Seems to be an issue just with Lion?

11. xCromwell macrumors newbie

I've been using 5gHz on my Air of about 2 weeks now and I haven't got a single disconnection.

12. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I use my Air on a 5ghz connection every day. However, it is an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station so maybe that's why I have no issues. All of my Macs and iPads connect to the 5ghz band and all are running Lion. Definitely sounds like it could be a 3rd party router issue....

13. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I concur. I have seen little if any improvement in real world download speeds using 5GHz over 2.4GHz. As noted by other posters, the iPhone isn't compatible with 5GHz and I had stability problems when using it that were eliminated when I shifted to an 802.11n (802.11b/g compatible) setup. Thus I have ended up giving up on 5GHz a couple of times over the course of the nearly four years I have had an n router.

14. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

5ghz offers a huge benefit and is almost essential to anyone living in a densely populated area. Within my apartment building and surrounding neighboring buildings, I see over 20 2.4ghz networks. This amount of networks is more than the amount of channels we have available. This coupled with the interference from microwave ovens and wireless landline phones makes 2.4ghz wireless networking a mess.

5ghz solves all of that.

EDIT: Worth mentioning that I am connecting my 2011 MBA with Lion to a 5ghz network created by a Linksys E3000 running TomatoUSB firmware and it works just fine.

15. Mr X macrumors member

Mr X

Fixed?

Apparently todays release of 10.7.3 fixes the wifi from sleep issue

16. mfram macrumors 65816

2010 MBA w/ 10.7.2 running 5GHz N to a Time Capsule 1st Gen. No issues.

17. otterfish macrumors newbie

802.11d was my problem

My issue was that I had to change the 5GHz SSID on my Wi-Fi router to a channel that worked in all regulatory domains. Due to the large number of misconfigured wireless networks near me when I would wake up my MacBook Pro, 802.11d would kick in and turn off some of the wireless channels on the Wi-Fi card rendering my 5GHz network invisible. Once I did that it's been rock solid.

More details here: http://jeff-with-a-g.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/5ghz-wifi-on-your-mac-got-you-down.html