Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattashwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2012
So my early 2011 MacBook Pro has what I believe to be a failing logic board, namely the discrete AMD Radeon HD 6490M GPU. It's the 256mb version.

The computer itself has the high res anti glare screen, 16gb RAM, 256gb SSD.

It works great when using the integrated graphics, no issues at all. When using the dedicated graphics, it works about 80% of the time but will start to show artifacts on screen after waking from sleep, sometimes freezing completely. If it's just being used for regular things, keeping it on the integrated with gfxcardstatus, there is 0 issues at all and it runs super quick.

I'm not sure exactly what I should do with it. Would it be worth it to sell as it is, or would it make more sense to part it all out? I don't have Applecare on it, and the repair was quoted at $800+

Haven't been able to find many people in the same spot.

Swampus

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
Winterfell
So my early 2011 MacBook Pro has what I believe to be a failing logic board, namely the discrete AMD Radeon HD 6490M GPU. It's the 256mb version.

The computer itself has the high res anti glare screen, 16gb RAM, 256gb SSD.

It works great when using the integrated graphics, no issues at all. When using the dedicated graphics, it works about 80% of the time but will start to show artifacts on screen after waking from sleep, sometimes freezing completely. If it's just being used for regular things, keeping it on the integrated with gfxcardstatus, there is 0 issues at all and it runs super quick.

I'm not sure exactly what I should do with it. Would it be worth it to sell as it is, or would it make more sense to part it all out? I don't have Applecare on it, and the repair was quoted at $800+

Haven't been able to find many people in the same spot.

Where do you live? If it's still in near perfect physical condition, you should be able to get the $310 flat rate repair. Even a tier two repair repair would be less than $800. Though, I suppose that either is a lot to pay for a board that might develop the same problems.

Also, IMHO, if it's still working well with the integrated CPU, you're taking a big risk by using the discreet at all. A computer that has "0 issues at all and runs super quick" is WAY better than a computer in a rapid state of decline.

Some think that Apple may yet make a move on this. If they do something like last time and provide repairs out to four years from date of purchase, that might increase the value somewhat.

mattashwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2012
I'm in southern Ontario

Physically, it's in fine shape. One tiny little ding on the lid, but hard to notice. No dead pixels or anything. Battery isn't too bad.

I've since gotten a late 2013 15" rMBP, and am currently just getting all my stuff backed up off the older machine, then I'll do a fresh install of Mavericks and throw nothing but gfxcardstatus on it to keep it locked on the integrated.

Not sure where I'd find that flat rate, but Apple stores and resellers alike have all quoted me in the same 700-1000 range. It'd be great if there was some sort of recall....I was also effected by the nVidia recall. My luck with these notebooks has been terrible, though I should have learned from that one and gotten Applecare!

Swampus

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
Winterfell
...Not sure where I'd find that flat rate, but Apple stores and resellers alike have all quoted me in the same 700-1000 range...

It's called a Depot repair and you sometimes have to ask for it. It's not always offered as a suggestion and it takes a little longer. It's a tier system and the price quoted is based on the physical condition of the machine. If it's in good shape, then yours would probably be first tier at $310. Once it reaches the depot and is inspected more thoroughly, it's possible that the original tier placement can be changed. For example, signs of liquid damage would bump to the highest tier (about $1200, I think). Of course, you would still have the option to decline at that point. It's available from Canadian stores (but I think it's mailed to the United States?). If you do this, I'd put the original RAM and drive back in. Apple repair techs tend to hyper-focus on things that are not OEM.

You get a 90 warranty with the repair, so if you list it right away, the buyer would have nearly three months to stress test it.

Edit: I should clarify that I'm not meaning to offer economic advice here. I got more caught up in your question than the purpose of your question. I have no sense of how likely it would be that you would recover the $310 in increased sale value. But you could probably check those recently sold on eBay to get some idea.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.