2011 low end 13", low end 15". Please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cicatrix, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Ok, I am pulling my hair out trying to decide which one of these models to get. I can not decide!
    This laptop will be used solely for audio work, no video games at all.
    Is the 2.0Ghz i5 processor enough to handle Logic Pro sufficiently?
    I know I can get an external monitor with the 13", but just the idea of having a Quad Core 15" is making me hesitant on the 13". $600.00 is a lot of money if I will not be tapping into most of the available power the Quad Core has to offer. I would be able to put the Vertex 3 SSD drive in the 13" where as if I went the 15" route I would have to wait on the SSD. On the other hand, once the SSD drive is in the 15" I will have a monster! Will the screen res of the 2011 13" model really be that bad if I am not playing video games?

The 15" does seem to be a lot more future proof however. Decisions, decisions.

2. CopperX macrumors member

Audio work kills hard disk drives.

I've killed a bunch of them just mixing.

I would LOVE an SSD for audio work, since I spend most of the time mixing (reading the tracks) and not recording (writing to the SSD).

As long as you're not using CPU-hungry plugins such as Nebula, you're more than fine with the i5 for mixing 32 tracks of audio.

With that said, if your main line of work is audio, and it is not just a hobby, get the beefiest processor and fastest hard drive that you can. Also, the resolution of the 13" is fine for Logic Pro. I've spent a LOT of hours in a 13" in Logic, but I prefer attaching a bigger monitor to it for extended mixing sessions.

3. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

you might not "need" it today, but what about in six or nine months? My rule on Apple laptops is try to exceed my current needs, allowing for my financial situation at the time. I went with the 15 in hopes of squeezing another year or two out of it over the 13. There is no doubt, I'd be upgrading the 13 in a year or maybe 18 months.

4. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you guys for you're generous advice on the matter.

I definitely have the cash for the 15". I will not be carrying the laptop to different locations all that much. For some reason I keep thinking the 15" might be too big. I think I am fascinated with having an ultra portable laptop, even though I do not need it to be all that portable. I have been looking at size comparisons of the 13" and 15" and the 15" does not seem to be that much bigger. I might just go ahead and pick up the 15" and get the Vertex 3 in a month or so when I can afford it. Patience young grasshopper.:D

That way if I do decide to go with a 13" I can sell the 15" when the 2012 models come out and maybe break close to even, yes?

5. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I just went to Best Buy to scope out the Macbook Pro's. I have never actually seen one in real life before!

I was amazed at the quality, and feel of these machines. Second to none. Oh my gosh, I can't wait! Monday could not come any sooner. I compared the 13", the 15", and the 17". I am getting the 15" hands down. I thought the 15" was the best of both worlds by far. I felt the image to be a lot sharper than the 13". It wasn't that much bigger but it just felt really nice. I am so ampered up about this machine now! The 17" didn't even seem to big. I would be happy with either of the 15" or 17"

Is Monday here yet?... is it here yet? is it here yet?... what about now?