2011 low-end 13" mbp vs 2010 high-end 13" mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexia j, Feb 26, 2011.

1. alexia j macrumors newbie

Ignoring the price differential (a local shop is offering the 2010 higher-end model for the price of the new low end model), which is better?

I don't really know what I should be basing my comparison on. I'll be using the macbook mainly for school (i.e. browsing, iwork/office suite, itunes, some videos, basically a softcore user).

Also, I do use skype a lot so is the facetime camera any better than the 2010's isight? (I hear it's the same camera, re-branded, but I just wanted to confirm that) Do I get the same functions by just buying the app off the Mac App store?

Lastly, in 3-5 years time, will the trade-in value of the two computers be the same? (considering the different processors in each) I am your typical broke, cheap-ass student so even a $50-$100 difference means a lot to me! (That is dinner for 2 weeks!!)

Which would you pick? :)

2. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

In those tasks you won't notice much of a difference between an i5 or i7.

Well for the older macbooks the iSight was just rebranded to FaceTime camera, but now they have a FaceTime HD camera, so yeah the quality will be better, but that also depends heavily on both users internet connections.

As for trade in value, the higher end will obviously be worth some more due to the i7.

3. ahideg macrumors newbie

You'll be just fine with the i5. In fact, I just picked one up yesterday and I'm a fairly normal user. Unless you intend on doing CPU intensive tasks, you'll likely notice no difference. You'd be better off getting the base model, then maxing out the RAM and maybe a 7200rpm HD, with the extra money you would've spent on the higher end model.

4. alexia j thread starter macrumors newbie

i believe it's i5 vs core 2 duo (on the old macbook pro). and thanks for the tip on internet connection speeds.

5. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

The 2010 high-end model has a C2D processor, they're really good, but by now that's old tecnology.

The 2011 low-end has an i5 processor, thet's new tecnology, so it'll give you better resale value in 3-5 years.

And the iSight is different to the Face Time HD, the new one is better, but you'll need a faster internet connection.

Both will serve you well on the tasks yo described, but if re-sale value is important, go for the 2011 low end.

6. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

Tough call.

For your tasks... last year's model is fine. Sure, it's a C2D but is still has Nvidia's GPU whereas the new releases have Intel's inferior graphics.

Then again, you cite resale value as being important. Recent models will always bring more money than their fore bearers.

Whatever you get nobody will be able to tell as they both look the same.

7. rnb2 macrumors regular

The OP is asking for a comparison between a high-end 2010 13" vs. the low-end 2011, so the i7 doesn't factor into the decision - this is strictly a Core 2 Duo vs. i5 question.

I'd definitely go for the 2011 machine - for processor-intensive tasks, it's going to be somewhere around 1.5-1.75x faster than last year's high-end machine, and the GPU is basically a wash.

The new Facetime camera will do 720p HD, where the old camera was just VGA, so the new one is much better, but how useful that is will depend on the internet connections at both ends.

I would guess that resale value in 3-5 years will be similar, but probably breaking in the 2011 model's favor. Anything with an i5 processor is going to be more attractive to a buyer than a Core 2 Duo, and the machines are otherwise very similar.

8. ahideg macrumors newbie

My bad! I didn't read the post fully. I'd probably still lean toward the newer model, especially, like everyone else has just said, if you see yourself selling it later on to upgrade.

9. trip1ex macrumors 68000

10. chazco macrumors member

I've been thinking the same... i've got a high-end 2010 13" MBP (the 2.66GHz one) and I'm wondering if I should upgrade before my eligibility for student discount expires in a few months.

11. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

If you compare some of the benchmark numbers, the low end 2011 literally is almost 2x as fast as the 2.4/2.66 C2D 2010 models in benchmarks like Geekbench, etc... The C2D scores in a range from 2,800 - 3,600, where as the new i5 scores 5,200 - 6,200. For raw performance and latest tech, the 2011 is certainly faster.

Everyday tasks like email and word processing - you won't notice a difference. Encoding a video? Early reports are showing seriously faster encodes on the i5 platforms.

To put it in perspective - the 2011 i5 on the low end MBP is shown to benchmark close and / or above the 2010 i7.

12. alexia j thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everyone! you've made my decision so much easier and i think i'm definitely going for the newer model then!