2011 mac mini cannot install Crucial M4 - Update

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by wstam, Dec 30, 2011.

1. wstam, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

wstam macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just install a new Crucial M4 128GB SSD to my mid 2011 mini. This is mounted along with the stock 750G HD. However, I couldn't erase (format) or partition the SSD. It will show "unmounting disk" for a long time, the error msg with "Partition failed with error: Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed."

It seems to be working fine when I first mounted it in an external USB HD case. Problem started when I mounted it into the mini.

I thought I saw people here using Crucial SSD without problem. I am lost, not sure what to do with it. Appreciate any advises.

Thanks.

2. wstam thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, wrong title.

Sorry, typed the title wrongly. Please ignore. I have re-post with correct title. Thanks.

3. simsaladimbamba

You don't.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

4. wstam thread starter macrumors newbie

Noted. I did try to see how to change the title. Must have missed that. Thanks.

5. wstam thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem kind of solved

Hi,

The problem was resolved after I swap the places between the new SSD and the stock HD. Now I can format the SSD and clone the OS over.

Not sure why SSD has problem at the upper position. :confused: Now that the HD is there, it doesn't seem to have any issue.

Anyway thanks.

6. spda242 macrumors member

I installed my Crucial M4 in the top slot today?

I cloned (CCC) the original HDD to the SSD while in a USB box and then I put a 1TB HDD in the lower slot and the SSD in the higher slot.