Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
I'm currently using the 2011 Mac Mini as a Windows 7 x64 HTPC connected to a HDHomeRun Prime 3CC CableCARD tuner.

There is a bug floating around for some video cards when viewing HD video from the cable provider (Comcast in this case). The bug is the frame rate switching constantly between 29 and 59.

I'm currently experiencing stuttering on some channels, HBO 801 in particular. The stutter is really bad on CGI movies like Megamind.

Is anyone aware of the Intel HD3000 integrated graphics being affected by this bug?

Should I look at the Timecapsule (4th Generation) as a cause?

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Confirmed

For those planning to use the 2011 Mac Mini Server model with Intel HD 3000 Graphics integrated GPU for a HTPC for Digital CableCARD tuning in Windows 7 x64.

The 2011 Mac Mini with integrated graphics does experience the 29/59 frame rate bug when view certain HD channels on Digital CableCARD tuners. This can be confirmed by pressing 4-1-1-Info on the Media Center remote. The frame rate in the diagnostic screen will flip between 29/59 very fast. The result is stuttering with the default bootcamp driver configuration. Certain settings will make it worse and introduce flickering similar to ATI/AMD GPUs.

The solution is to turn off all settings under Advanced > Media > Image Enhancement in the Intel display adapter configuration application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.