2011 Mac Mini Server - 2x256GB Samsung 830 in RAID0

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by rw3, Mar 19, 2012.

1. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

So since I have these 256GB Samsung 830 SSDs, see thread, I thought I would tear apart my 2011 Mac Mini Server to run some speed tests to see how they do in a RAID0 configuration. I normally run my Mac Mini with 2x1TB Samsung 1TB 5400rpm drives (HN-M101MBB Model Number) as I use it as media storage for streaming to AppleTVs (3 total in the house) and as a host for my Time Machine Backups.

Test Configuration
    2011 Mac Mini Server
    OS X Lion 10.7.3 (Fresh Install)
    2x256GB Samsung 830 SSDs (Latest Firmware Installed)
    16GB (2x8GB) Patriot DDR3-1333 SO-DIMM Memory (Fry's Special for $159.99)

Performance Results
    These things are pretty ridiculous (in a good way) when they are in a RAID0 configuration. The numbers speak for themselves.

BlackMagic Disk Speed Test
    Read: 861.8 MB/s
    Write: 769.7 MB/s

[​IMG]

GeekBench 2.2.7
    I also went ahead and did a Geekbench on this setup (my normal setup scores a 9746 in Geekbench.

[​IMG]

NovaBench
    NovaBench is something that I came across in another thread and just thought that I would see how my Mac Mini Server compares to other systems. I was kinda impressed with the numbers that it gave.

[​IMG]

So this should give you an idea of just how fast the Mac Mini can become when it has RAID0 SATAIII SSDs. I would love to see what the 512GB do as they seem to bench slightly better. You may be wondering why I didn't use a SandForce based drive for these tests and the answer is simply: I do not like the unreliability of the SandForce drives. I stay with Samsung or Marvell based drives.

Feel free to ask any questions. Thanks

Ryan
    ryan@xtrememacs.com

2. Pheo macrumors regular

Thats silly fast!

Interesting though. Just installed an Intel 520 120GB in my MM, hope its reliable! Plenty of backups being put in train if not!