2011 Mac Mini video out to 2007 MacBook display possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by patent10021, Nov 1, 2013.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

I am traveling with my Mac Mini and briefly need a display. If I could use a friend's 2007 MacBook display for my Mini that would be great. Any way to do this? Is the Macbook VGA only out?

Thanks

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The Mac Book DOESN'T have VGA without an adapter! What version of os X are you running?

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

2007 is 10.7.5, 2011 Mini is Mavericks.

Yeah I know, I need the mini DV to VGA or whatever it is. But if I have that can I go Mac Mini out -> MacBook in? Will it have to be mirroring?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Am I suppose to read your Mind?

5. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Huh? Read it for what? I'm simply asking can this be done or not and what do I need to do?

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You asked
    I said a Mac doesn't have VGA without an adapter (any Mac).

Were done!

7. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Right so….is there some kind of HDMI/thunderbolt to mini DV solution?

8. samh macrumors 6502

Could he boot the Mini in target disk mode, then boot the Macbook from the Mini as an external disk?

9. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Ah, TDM, forgot about that. How would you boot it in TDM? Would they have to be connected via FW then when booting up the MacBook select the MacMini as the boot up volume?

10. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Or use Screen Sharing.

Use it all the time on my "headless" (no monitor attached) Mac minis running as servers.

11. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

To answer the original question:

There is no way to use any modern Mac other than the iMac* as a display for another machine.

You do have a couple options:
    • If you just want to get to your OS and files, you can use Target Disk Mode:
    1. With both machines *OFF* (not in sleep) connect the two machines together via a FireWire cable directly from one to the other
    2. Connect a keyboard to the mini
    3. Press the power button on the mini
    4. Press and hold 'T' on the mini's keyboard for about two minutes (to make absolutely sure it has started up in target disk mode)
    5. Power on the MacBook
    6. Hold 'Option' on the MacBook's keyboard until the boot disk selector appears
    7. Select your Mac mini's hard drive.
    8. When done, shut it down, and disconnect the cables.

OR
    • BEFORE leaving, when your mini still has a monitor available, configure it for Screen Sharing:
    1. Go to System Settings
    2. Go to Sharing
    3. Enable Screen Sharing
    4. Go to the Network settings:
    5. Ensure Ethernet is on and set to DHCP *AND* pre-configure AirPort to connect to the WiFi network that will be the same on the MacBook will be connected to.
    6. Make sure you have a crossover Ethernet cable (this is not a standard Ethernet cable, it will be labeled "crossover" specifically.)
    • When you get to where the MacBook is:
    1. Turn on the MacBook
    2. Turn on the Mac mini
    3. On the MacBook, go to "Network" (Command-Shift-K)
    4. See if the Mac mini appears.
    5. If it does, go to step 11, if it does not, continue to step 6.
    6. Connect the *CROSSOVER* Ethernet cable directly between the two machines.
    7. Wait about a minute
    8. Go to "Network" (see step 3)
    9. See if the Mac mini appears
    10. If it does, go to step 11, if it does not, stop now - you're out of luck.
    11. Double-click on the Mac mini.
    12. Click "Screen Sharing" button at upper-right of window.

*Recent iMacs with either DisplayPort (27" models only) or Thunderbolt (any model,) can be used as a display for another machine, but only when the source machine has the same connection technology or newer - so Thunderbolt iMacs can only be a display for Thunderbolt-equipped machines, while 27" DisplayPort iMacs can be used as a display for either DisplayPort or Thunderbolt machines. Obviously, this does not apply to your situation, but I'm mentioning it in case it helps others who come across this thread.

If you *DO* want to use such an iMac as a display, you just connect it to the other machine via an appropriate cable (Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt as appropriate,) and press Command-F2 while the machine is on to enable the mode. Press Command-F2 on the target machine's directly-connected keyboard to exit. The target machine is still running while in target display mode, but the display will act as if it were a standard DisplayPort-connected display to the source machine.