Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cubex

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Now that the App Store has been updated to 10.7.1 - if I download that version and create a bootable USB will it work with the 2011 Mac mini? I am planning on ordering the server version for the quad core i7 but don't want the server OS. I already purchased Lion on the App Store for upgrading my MacBook Air..

If I have no option but to run the server version of Lion I might have to change my order to a non-server Mac mini.

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
As far as I know there is no server edition of OS X Lion —*the 'server' is just a set of software components that can be removed just like any other app.

cubex

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Doh! I didn't realize that had changed with Lion. I'm still used to Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Server.

So it doesn't really matter if it comes with Lion 'Server' as I just need to delete the 'Server' app and everything is good?

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
Yes, that's exactly right —*at least according to people posting on this forum. I've found one thread which confirms this, but there are many others:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1223248/

I have read that when setting up OS X Lion 'server' you are asked a couple of server-related questions, but the actual server components are just an app that, like you said, could simply be deleted.

I'm sure somebody who owns a Mini Server will be able to confirm or deny this very easily :)

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Lion Server installed on the 2011 Mac Mini does ask server related question during the installation. This is very much different from standard Lion. The services are installed and running on Lion Server. You can disable the services and remove the app from the dock and its pretty much the same OS. However, the default security, power management, etc. is very different from standard Lion and would have to be adjusted.

I would also prefer a clean install of standard Lion from the app store for at least one of my Mac Mini server models, if not both because the standard desktop defaults are preferred. I also have a feeling that the standard Lion boots faster even after you have disabled the server components. Not sure if the slow boot is related to the drives, processor, or OSX, but its noticeable.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Checking-in. Has anyone tried to get Lion 10.7.1 from the App Store to install on the 2011 Mini?

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Checking-in. Has anyone tried to get Lion 10.7.1 from the App Store to install on the 2011 Mini?

Different build of 10.7.1 and not going to work. You can try the suggestion from my post above.

Just yesterday I used that suggestion but on my Mini Server to get a Mini Server install disk (includes Server components).

People have found that an InstallESD.dmg downloaded on a Mini (non-Server) installs fine on a Mini Server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.