2011 Mac mini (with 8gb) Vs 2017 Macbook pro 13inch 256gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Biggerplay, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Biggerplay macrumors newbie

I've got a 2011 (Intel Core i5, 2.3 GHz) Mac Mini with an 8gb upgrade, and it has been a great machine, but it's pretty slow now, so I was thinking of upgrading to a laptop. Can anyone tell me if the 2017 Macbook pro, 256gb will be more powerful than my mac mini?

2. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

No doubt about that.

SSD drives have advanced leaps and bounds over the last 5-7 years and your mini is probably rocking a good old hard disk spinner

3. Biggerplay thread starter macrumors newbie

So only in HD senese it's more powerful? I'm more concerned about the processing/graphics difference.

4. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

The Mini never had discrete/dedicated graphics so it relies on Intel iGPU from your Core chip. Six years later, you are getting a much faster, capable iGPU.

You will certainly enjoy your new Mac. Just browsing the internet will be much faster, smoother scrolling, etc

5. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Minis did have dedicated graphics, I have one. That being said, the dedicated graphics from the Minis are now outclassed by the integrated offerings from Intel. You won't be getting a downgrade from those, but the upgrade isn't vast.

USB 3.1/USC C is a huge upgrade though. The new CPUs are much faster, don't go just by the Ghz. The RAM may not be a whole lot more GB, but it's likewise faster. And seriously, the new SSDs make it all feel faster. It's time to upgrade! I only use my 2011 Mac mini as a server these days.

6. MDMachiavelli macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

I had a Mac Mini and had a horrible experience with it. Mine was a little newer than a 2011 but it ran horribly. One of the worst experiences I ever had with home computing. I have a 2017 13" MBP now and it is one of the best experiences I have ever had.

7. leman macrumors 604

The CPU in the 2017 non-touch-bar 13" MBP is give or take twice as fast as the CPU in the 2011 Mini. The GPU... well, there is no sense in even comparing that (same for the internal storage). So yes, the MBP is certainly a very noticeable upgrade from your Mini...

8. TokMok3, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017

TokMok3 macrumors member

TokMok3

I had a Mac mini 2012, 8GB, 256 SSD. Great machine until Xcode 9. Now I'm running a MacBook Pro (mid)2015 2.8Ghz which is 5 times faster in my opinion. Get the MacBook Pro.

9. dmcdayton macrumors newbie

I'm still using an Early 2009 Mac Mini (2.0 Ghz with 8GB Ram). I upgraded to SSD 5 years ago, made all the difference. I've been interested in a new Mini but with the refresh delay, am considering buying a MBP, running it in Clamshell mode 95% of time...which seems a waste.

Any of you running 2017 MPB in Clamshell continuously? Problems?