2011 Macbook Air 11" LCD screen (not full assembly) replacement - DIY help

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Cortland15B, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Cortland15B, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014

Cortland15B macrumors newbie

A remote hit my macbook air screen a few months ago and cracked part of the lcd screen and it created a circle of dead pixels about the size of a dime and has spidered out a little bit. The backlight is still fine though. I just bought a replacement lcd screen off of ebay along with a tool kit. I will be having a friend who went to school for IT and has had a good amount of experience repairing broken computers, iPods, etc help me but he hasn't done a laptop screen before. They have a video on youtube of how to do it but it doesn't to show you how they put it all back together, do you have to replace the adhesive around the bezel or not? Then is there anything that you have to be really careful of? Step by step instructions would be awesome. I would greatly appreciate any tips you can give me too.

Thanks,
    Cortland15B.

2. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Did you buy the entire upper assembly (screen and laptop lid), or just the screen? If you bought only the screen, your friend better be world-class, because there are TONS of adhesive and very fragile layers involved in replacing the screen. I've seen about 15 people try this repair - I've seen 1 do it successfully.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you only bought the LCD like TheRealDamager said, you need a heat gun to melt the adhesive before slowly prying it off the bezel.

The big issue is the aluminium trim very easily get bent and there really isn't much you can do to smooth it back into place.

If it's the whole top lid, then it's easy to do and requires removing the bottom cover.

4. Cortland15B, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014

Cortland15B thread starter macrumors newbie

It is the inner component not the entire screen. I have a heat gun. Do I need to buy new adhesive or do you not have to replace it? If so what type is the best? Is there anything else besides the screen and the toolkit I have to buy? Tips and instructions would be greatly appreciated. I know its not going to be easy, but worse case scenario I have to replace the entire thing which is close to 300$. To have a repair shop replace just the inside (what I'm doing) is still close to 300$. Its obviously not impossible to do. Just have to take it slow and be very patient. Giving me tips will help me a lot more than just criticizing.

5. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I would pay to have it done. Really good $$$ value for the $$$ spent. If you decide to do it yourself, please update this thread.

6. Cortland15B, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014

Cortland15B thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided to do it myself, thats why I created this. Update it? In what way?

I just watched 2 videos where they used a razor blade instead of heat and the plastic tool to pry most of the bezel up, what if you used the plastic tool around where the wires are at and the blade for everywhere else? The only wire locations are at the camera and along the bottom bezel right?

7. Cityhall89 macrumors newbie

How did the repair go? I'm about to attempt the same repair. $70 for screen vs $500 for assembly... no brainer.

8. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Get a utrecht art supply store spatula. I can take the bezel off in 90 seconds or less now.

9. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

You need new adhesive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwMKK0P5_IY&index=7&list=UUl2mFZoRqjw_ELax4Yisf6w

http://www.rossmanngroup.com/blog/adhesives-separate-failures-professionals/

This is total self wankery as I sell this adhesive, but I don't sell it to make money. I sell it because people beg me, five to ten private messages per day, to sell them it... and at ten bucks with free shipping, it's just charity.

There are three types of adhesive. Actually, four.

a) Superglue. DO NOT USE THIS.

b) Adhesive that barely sticks. DO NOT USE THIS.

c) Adhesive that sticks and NEVER COMES OFF. Use if you have confidence.

d) Adhesive that sticks, but only comes off if you try to use the tool to pry it off. This is what I use and sell, because it makes my life easy.

There are tons of different 3M Core series adhesives. I spent years torturing myself using crap adhesive before I found this. I take this as seriously as the type of underwear I put on, my choice in a home recliner, it has that much of an effect on my daily misery/stress level.

10. kcrunchone macrumors newbie

I am reading along with many of the people her because I am attempting a repair myself. I ordered the screen and the glass only parts that were damaged. But if you haven't done it already do not use a razor or sharp tool, the camera wire runs along the right side around the bezel and is recessed in the framing. It is not buried deep in the niche but rather surface flush and could be nicked with a blade or sharp instrument.

11. DonGarrio macrumors newbie

2011 Macbook Air Screen!

You said you got your replacement on Ebay? Can you send me the link to the sell or something? I saw someone say their replacement was $70 and ya that is a no brainer however I cannot find the correct part to replace mine..If you can help it would be much appreciated. Thanks again and good luck on your repairs. :D

Attached Files:

12. kcrunchone, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

kcrunchone macrumors newbie

Don't use any type of glues or adhesive the actual glass replacement comes with the double sided tape adhered in place when ordered. I did my repair and ordered from a laptop screen website and the glass I picked up from amazon it was cheaper that all other sites and it's original MacBook pro glass.

So I actually did this repair on the 13 and a 15 and both are up and running smooth. The purchase of the screen and glass were more than worth the investment. $130 for both to be repaired and new glass but the second one the glass was not cracked it was ordered as a precaution to me breaking it, but I got lucky.

----------

try
    www.laptopscreens.com
    BTW the MacBook air screen is more than the MBP

13. FindYourLane007 macrumors newbie

Display Screen Seeker

Hey there guys! Do you have any advice on where I could by a cheap replacement screen for my Mac Air 13"?? Please help, I cant do this much longer and I am new to Mac:confused:

14. kcrunchone macrumors newbie

I just posted where I picked up both of my screens n the post above you must have missed it.

www.laptopscreen.com

very simple