2011 Macbook Air 13'' (i7) Instant Wake Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sick z33, Aug 1, 2011.

1. sick z33 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I noticed recently that my laptop isn't truly an "instant wake" as advertised for the 2011 Macbook Air. I put my laptop to sleep by Apple menu or closing the lid. When I open lid to wake up later, the screen stays off/black for 5 seconds then I can see my desktop, however I have to wait another 3-5 seconds for the trackpad to respond and move the mouse.

I took it to my Apple Genius bar and they said this was normal due to it being an SSD. I told them that this laptop was advertised as its ability to instant wake when it is asleep, and my 2009 Macbook Pro with a standard HD wakes up faster then this. We were able to replicate the issue, and all they could offer was an overnight diagnostics.

So my question is this, does anyone else have this issue? Thanks!

2. KPOM macrumors G5

There are several threads on this, and it's a common issue right now. It's a bug and the person at the Apple Store was giving you a line. The SSD should make it faster, not slower. The 2010 MacBook Airs woke from sleep much more quickly. I suspect that once we get some firmware updates for the 2011 and some Lion updates that this will improve.

3. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

If you turn off hibernate mode with a terminal command, and if you can assign a static IP address, then you will get a MUCH quicker wake up.

If you cant do these things, then you need to either accept that "instant on" on the Air means 10 secs or turn to an alternative.

4. h00ligan macrumors 68030

If you disable hibernate, you are losing more battery power when sleeping - that is not the answer imo. A bug fix is.

Static IP (I posted a thread positing that as a fix) wound up having no tangible impact on deep sleep issues.

5. sick z33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, I guess I wasn't doing the right searches before I posted this. I was able to find threads of people having similar issues. i will let you all know if Apple finds anything wrong with their diagnostics. Maybe they will swap it out for a new unit :)

6. AntPhone macrumors member

Fascinating...

so I have a 2011 13" MBA and notice that even though I have it set to not put the hard drive to sleep when connected to the power supply, it seems that the MBA does go into sleep mode. The touchpad/MBA is unresponsive unless I press a key or button-click the touchpad. Anyone else experiencing this issue?