Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skibbz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
My 2011 MacBook Air 13" screen cracked under insanely slight pressure and Apple wants $450 to replace their ****** screen, what other repair options are there? I see that TechRestore offers a replacement for around $450 as well.

From what I've read, some people claim that the entire top clamshell needs to be replaced - is that actually true? I thought the 11" screen could be replaced with careful application of a heat gun to soften the glue that adheres the screen to the bezel... Is that the same with the 2011 13"? Is this something that I could DIY? If so, does anyone have personal experience with any of the companies that sell replacement screens of similar quality?

I'd like to repair this as cheaply as possible since I'm just going to be selling it and purchasing another ThinkPad, my tryst with Apple laptops has been filled with nothing but disappointment and frustration :mad:

skibbz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
You shouldn't place any pressure on the screen.

Consumer products should be designed to handle real world use - this isn't an original painting, it's a consumer laptop.

Get real, fanboy.

skibbz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
I think I'll just go with one of the repair services, I can't seem to find replacement screens available anywhere that looks reputable. PowerbookMedic offers a replacement for around $350 and I've found a couple other companies in the same ballpark. Win-Win - cheaper and I don't have to deal with the idiots at the Apple store! :D

allieverything

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2012
For a 100 dollars though you should got Apple. I know it's more, but at least you know what you're getting.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
Consumer products should be designed to handle real world use - this isn't an original painting, it's a consumer laptop.

Get real, fanboy.

You say, "insanely small amount of pressure" But TFT displays are very fragile and are easily broken. The MBA has a standard design and is no more weak than other displays. I think you are over exaggerating your description of what happened.

But I feel for you, it sucks to have broken something so expensive. You could check on ebay for replacement screens and change it yourself! :DHere is an example for $77! just make sure you buy the correct model, and follow the guides on ifixit or youtube.:cool:

I have a co-worker who regularly jabs his finger at screens, I wince every time he does it! DON'T PROD THE SCREEN PEOPLE!

If you want a Tuff screen, get a model with glass of the front such as the Macbook Pro.

ClassObject

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2010
I think I'll just go with one of the repair services, I can't seem to find replacement screens available anywhere that looks reputable. PowerbookMedic offers a replacement for around $350 and I've found a couple other companies in the same ballpark. Win-Win - cheaper and I don't have to deal with the idiots at the Apple store! :D

So you'll deal with idiots in general? I prefer known idiots.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010

Make sure you disclose that you had someone other than Apple repair the screen when you finally sell it

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011

Get real, fanboy.

Don't insult this guy. You noticed its not a common problem? Mines not broke. Most people on this forum don't have broken screens. I bet you sat on it.

lbfjrmd

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
add me to the list of cracked screens. 11 months ols and never been of desk! Apple says i abused unit!! This is a load of crap! :mad:

lbfjrmd

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Does your home Insurance policy not cover it, mine does both in and out of the house, and I would have claimed on it when I cracked mine if Apple had not replaced it for free.

tut

high deductible furthermore this is an APPLE issue, not a hurricane damaged roof!

n1tut

macrumors regular
It is not an Apple issue if it was damaged by the owner. Home contents Insurance is there to cover accidental damage which includes a laptop.

I do not know what your excess is in the States, but mine is £75 so well worth claiming.

tut

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I found my 3 year old standing on top of my 13 inch MBA once. It is fine. I figured they were pretty strong.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
If the MBA screen is so fragile, how do MBA users clean it ?
Mine is now 6 months old and getting a bit flyspecked, so time to do something.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
high deductible furthermore this is an APPLE issue, not a hurricane damaged roof!

Get a rider for the laptop with a lower deductible in the future. Usually a better deal than other accidental coverage insurance options.

Homeowners covers a lot more than the home. Even icluding stolen items from your car.

Cyndi

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Mine also cracked and I had not dropped it or apply pressure on it. Just been using it like my other Lap tops. I bought mine for less than a month. I have never had a screen cracks on all my previous non lap tops. How unlucky .

danistyping

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Boston, MA
Mine also cracked and I had not dropped it or apply pressure on it. Just been using it like my other Lap tops. I bought mine for less than a month. I have never had a screen cracks on all my previous non lap tops. How unlucky .

Out of curiosity...this is the type of thing that is covered under the initial one year warranty, right? Or do you have to buy applecare? Or does none of that cover this stuff and you just have to pay if you mess your computer up?

uhslax24

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA
Out of curiosity...this is the type of thing that is covered under the initial one year warranty, right? Or do you have to buy applecare? Or does none of that cover this stuff and you just have to pay if you mess your computer up?

Applecare only covers manufacturer's defects, not user negligence, accidents, or general mistreatment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.