2011 Macbook Air Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dlim, Jan 16, 2012.

1. dlim macrumors regular

Hi guys!

I tried to do a search on this but couldn't find any satisfying answers.

I got my 13" MBA ~8/2011, and my current battery stats are:

Age of your Mac: 23 Weeks
    Loadcycles: 67
    Current capacity: 92%

Now I'm not complaining about these stats as I know they're normal and fine, but any suggestions in prolonging battery life (as in capacity)? I read the pretty intensive/thorough post from the forums regarding the battery in apple products, but was wondering how you guys are using your MBAs for the most part.

I have ~4-6 hours of lecture a day that I use my MBA for, and I used to just use it on battery at school and come home and charge it until the next day. By the time I come home it's at about 10-15% charge depending on how many hours of lecture I had.

I recently started using it as my main as well at home (leave it on AC adapter with an external monitor + wireless kb/mouse) since I sold my desktop and am in the process of obtaining a mac mini.

Would it be more...efficient(?) (I guess that's a good word) to use it on AC adapter while at school, and maybe allow it to drain to 50-70% (I read 50% in the post on batteries, but I've also read about users doing it to 70%) on battery every 2-3 days as I use it? Or would it be fine to just keep using it on battery at school and charging it at home as I have been?

Thanks in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery when you need to and plug it in when you can. The percentage charge when you unplug or plug in is irrelevant. Just don't run on AC power all the time. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. PaulWog Suspended

Mine is sitting at 98%, but it was down to 94% at one point. You'll find the reported health shoots up and down on you.

Since you've done your reading on what you should be doing, there's not a lot else that can be said.

[edit]: After owning my Air for a long while, I'd say the most efficient way to deal with the laptop is to simply use it. If you have the option of plugging it into a wall, and you need your battery to last longer throughout the day, then plug it in since you'll need the charge. If you don't have the option of plugging it into the wall, then don't. It's really that simple. I never bother sitting by the wall to plug my Air in since it lasts me long enough. Really you have to think to yourself: is it worth worrying about this sort of stuff day in and day out in order to possibly preserve maybe 1% of battery health. More likely than not your battery health will be whatever it will be despite your efforts (unless if you really abuse your laptop).

4. dlim thread starter macrumors regular

I never thought about it much before either until I noticed some of my classmates constantly plugging in their macbook pro's 24/7, and decided to do some research here on the forums. At my university every seat has it's own outlet + ethernet port, so it's not a hassle to try to find an outlet. So I guess I'm just wondering if since I have the option to plug it in during my lectures, should I and let it run on AC power? Does it really only amount to only a few % in battery health.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said, plug in when you want to. It doesn't matter. I encourage you to read the Battery FAQ.

6. PaulWog Suspended

Carrying around the Air's charger somewhat defeats the purpose of having an Air. It gets closer to the point of having been better off going with a pro.

Anyway, it's up to you. Really you're fine charging the air when you get home. If you run off of power without draining yourself below 96% (or whatever it takes to start charging), then you won't use your battery at all, which could save you on some battery health.

Really though, if you've owned your Macbook Air for 23 weeks and only gone through 67 loadcycles, you're going to be just fine. You'll likely want a new laptop before you want a new battery on your Macbook Air.

7. macbookman83 macrumors 6502

New Battery

Anyone know where I can buy a new battery at besides the apple store???

I missed the 1 year mark and didnt get a chance to get a new one........

My battery curry onlu lasts about 3 hours on a good day. I have the October 2010 model.:mad:

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What do you mean you missed the 1 year mark? There's no time limit on when you can buy a battery from Apple. As for you
    There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

9. dlim thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks everyone for all the responses! They've all been very helpful.

1. I do worry too much (I'm a thinker. My brother's been telling me I worry and think too much every time an important decision comes around haha)

2. Apple's known for making user friendly and convenient devices where the user doesn't have to worry about things like proper maintenance of batteries (just like how 2010+ models don't need to be calibrated!)

3. I'm gonna just take it easy and enjoy this thing. Thanks everyone :]

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Splendid idea!

11. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I use my air all day. It is on the charger when I'm at my desk and on battery anytime I leave for up to 2 hours at a time. No problems. If you use your Air at work it makes perfect sense to bring your charger.