2011 Macbook Air Bright Screen spot

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by philosopherdog, Feb 11, 2012.

1. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Just noticed yesterday when booting a bright spot about a couple of mm and round near the bottom left. The machine is a few months old. I'm disappointed in the quality of this air display in general. The light along the bottom is not even, and now this defect. I've got an appointment to see a genius today in my local mall. I really don't have time to be without this machine for that long, but I thought if I wait my chances of getting resolution might be compromised. Will post back to let you know what they say. I love this machine, but this bad screen issue is really not boding well. I've been pretty careful transporting it, but I'm thinking that I might need to get a more seriously protective bag for it, which defeats the purpose of having such a small, light machine. It's amazing how sick you feel when something you are so attached to isn't perfect. It makes me want to just buy a cheap pc and not worry about having the best and latest.

2. Mjmar macrumors 65816

These display problems are now plaguing every Apple product with a screen. I opened up my iPad, and the first thing I noticed was the terrible backlight bleeding. Got it replaced but it was the same story with the new one, so i just kept it. Opened my iPhone 4s, and I immediately noticed bright spotlights coming from the top of the screen. Not sure if it's worth it to get a replacement as the replacement will probably have even more problems. I am now in the market for a MacBook Air, but your post, along with several others' are making me second guess spending so much money on a machine that will most likely be defective. I'm glad you are seeing a genius about your Air, but I recommend that you make sure you take a look at the screen on the replacement before you leave the store. I miss the good old days when Apple wasn't as popular, my 2007 MacBook is flawless.

3. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

had a white spot in my mba 13 ultimate. got the screen replaced. it is an issue.

you guys should set your screen to max bright with a completely white background to check.

4. philosopherdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

They ok'ed a replacement under warranty. I will have to wait until April because I can't be without it for that long. It wasn't backlight bleeding, although the screen had that too. It was a bright spot on the screen about the size of the end of a dull pencil. Take yours in if it's like this and under warranty. You can only see if against a l light background.

5. philosopherdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Good news! The screen was replaced. They did it in less than 24 hours. I brought it to a store that's a bit slower than my usual one, and they did a speedy turn around. The screen actually is showing less light bleed than the first one. Hopefully this is the end of the story with this defective screen issue. As always Apple is a class act. Defective screens are a fact of life. But being able to speak to someone in person and have the job done in 24 hours is where they leave any other company in the lurch. Besides their build quality is beyond compare.

6. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I think I have the same problem.. is it only visible when on lighter colors? I can't see it when the color over it is black or dark, but it's very visible otherwise.

7. brayhite, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

brayhite macrumors 6502a

This post originally detailed how I went to Apple to show them the spot and went away. Now after using it for 20 minutes or so, it's back. So if you try taking it in, make sure you use it for a bit before going up there so that it shows and they'll hopefully fix it then. I'm on the new 2012 Macbook Air, by the way.