2011 MacBook Air grey screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sam67uk, Oct 27, 2011.

1. sam67uk macrumors member

My 2011 Air has decided to die on me! I'd suspected that the left USB port was having intermittent problems as my hard drives kept disappearing off the desk top

Decided to a bit of investigatory work tonight. And as I suspected, the left USB is as dead as a dodo!

Had a few problems rebooting. The plain grey screen would appear, then later on the apple logo would appear and the machine boot normally.

At the moment I'm not getting further than the grey screen. I've tried resetting the PRAM, holding the shift key for a safe boot and holding the D key for a web rebuild. Nothing seems to be working. Glad I did a time machine backup tonight :)

Time to book a genius bar appointment. :-/

Sam :(

2. Mikey-Mike macrumors member

Mikey-Mike

3. sam67uk thread starter macrumors member

New logic board required. On order, probably take a week to get it back up and running again. This is the second Air that's died on me :rolleyes:

4. FJB macrumors newbie

Was the first dead Air also running Lion??

Thanks, and best of luck.

5. sam67uk thread starter macrumors member

The first was a 2010 MacBook Air which lasted a couple of weeks and had a faulty SSD. It was replaced on the spot.

This one is a 2011 MacBook Air i7 running Lion.

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Any explanation as to why the logic board stopped working?

7. sam67uk thread starter macrumors member

They didn't give any explanation. I had diagnosed that the left USB port was faulty as devices kept dropping off the desktop. They probably realised that as the USB is built into the I/O it would be sensible to replace the whole board.

8. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

What got spilled near it?

Just kidding, or maybe I'm not ;), but i hope you get that worked out.

9. sam67uk thread starter macrumors member

Nothing was spilled near it. The Air sits upright all the time in a twelve south book arc stand and is plugged into a 27 inch apple cinema display :)

10. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

So I know this is an old thread, bit I seem to be having the same kind of problem. Did your boot, or did it get stuck on the grey screen? Mine is currently stuck on a grey screen and no key combination yields any result. Was the repair covered by warranty? Did they replace just the logicboard or the whole machine?

11. sam67uk thread starter macrumors member

Looks like you are having exactly the same problems as I was. Apple replaced the complete logic board under warranty and it didn't cost me anything. The machine is working fine now. Hope you get yours sorted.