2011 MacBook Air hinges?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by geekygeek, Aug 22, 2011.

1. geekygeek, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

geekygeek macrumors regular

I somehow noticed my MacBook Air 13" 2011 hinge was a little loose and fast today. It starts closing it self pretty fast If I leave the screen 2 inches from the trackpad. Opening it seems normal except it opens about 2 millimeters of space when I barely use any energy. It closes it self slowly at 4 inches. Not seeing any major problems but just little problems that annoy the crap out of me. I wouldn't care if my HP or Vaio did that. Do your 2011 Airs do this? It is a 13" if that matters.

EDIT: I just figured that it was my case on the screen. I took the Speck Clear case off and it was perfectly normal. I'm still wondering if the 2011 airs have a hinge defect.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I'd have it looked at. My 2010 and my 2011 could both be about 1/2" raised and would stay there.

3. c3m macrumors member

To OP

Something to keep in mind. When Apple design the Air and everything relate to it (ie: the tightness of the hinge etc..), it did not put into account that its customers would add extra weight or cases that attach to the design.

As you have had discovered, the hinge problem only happens with the Spark case on and not without it.

With that in mind, I personally dont think your 2011 13" Air is defective. But do go get it check out with the case on at the Apple store if it bothers you.

4. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I ordered the 11" incase perforated hard case for my new machine. When I use it with the case on the top I kept noticing the hinge seemed loose. When it was opened greater then 90 degrees and I would move it, the screen would adjust easily. It felt like the hinge was lose with the case on. I removed the case from the screen and it feels much tighter. So now I have a $49 bottom with no top. Instead of incase I call it Victoria Secret. A $49 bottom.

5. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Mine even less, I don't think it's something to really worry about though. Of course its always nice to get a new one from Apple