2011 Macbook Air Refresh -- throw me a morsel or new rumor

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Argelius, Jun 9, 2011.

  1. Argelius macrumors 6502


    Jun 16, 2005
    So, were all those rumors about the MacBook Air's imminent refresh greatly exaggerated?

    I nobody other than Mr Jobs knows for sure....but I'm dying to buy one.
  2. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a


    Aug 18, 2005
    The detailed rumors always said june or july, it's only the 8th of june now :)

    So to say that the rumors were greatly exaggerated is a little bit early in my book.
  3. Ridley macrumors regular

    Mar 28, 2011
    There is so much mis-information on these forums that I stopped writing here as much. It seems as though a lot of people don’t want a MBA release so their current MBA doesn’t feel inadequate. You can find these people because despite all the sources and rumors we have they think a Oct / Nov release is likely. Typically they will also tell you to buy the MBA currently because if you wait for SandyBridge, then there will be something better like Ivy Bridge and you wait for that and you’ll never have a computer. Because clearly waiting a month is equal to waiting forever.

    Another favorite comment by these people I have seen is claiming that it doesn’t make sense for Apple to release a new MBA during the summer back-to-school time. Their though being why update if people will buy it anyway? It also seems to popular to talk about clearing current MBA inventory. In response to that I’d say this:

    In fact many analyst already suspect that the updated MBPs have eroded some of the MBA sales. Further, discounts on MBA’s are everywhere both online and brick and mortar stores like best buy indicating they could be preparing for a new machine.

    Again on the back-to-school college thing. I actually think the business case for releasing an MBA in June or July is really good for the following reasons:

    I think this point about locking people into proprietary hardware is only nailed home by the fact that the latest iMacs no longer use standard hard drives either. Or course in response to this everyone will complain saying:

    And around and around we go!

    Another thing you’ll hear people say here is that a MBA release won’t happen before a Lion release… the idea here being that Apple wouldn’t hassle with a free upgrade program for those that just bought a new computer. While that is possible, they have already started up such a program. It doesn’t mean the MBA will come out before Lion, but it does keep it to be a possibility. http://gizmodo.com/5810062/how-to-get-osx-lion-for-free

    The last piece of mis-information people say to make themselves feel better about their current MBA is that they are really lucky they have the current model because the new one will “give you 3rd degree burns”, “be a frying pan”, etc. To that… well no one has ever said it better than nebulos:
  4. Bomino macrumors member

    Apr 22, 2011
    Well that was definitely the most thorough way to say "no, the rumors were not exaggerated." :D
  5. Ijustfarted macrumors regular

    Jun 8, 2011
  6. Tilpots macrumors 601


    Apr 19, 2006
    Carolina Beach, NC
    The new MBA will be thin. :D

    And Ridley... Dude, chill. :p
  7. Sodner macrumors 68020


    Jan 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thank heavens as they may need more storage if that's the size of one of your typical posts. :eek:

    Let me guess, your waiting to buy a new Air? ;)

    I have one NOW and love it. :p
  8. moxxey macrumors regular

    Feb 27, 2011
    I don't think anyone really knows anything about the new Air and, if they did, it would be front page news on MacRumors. Do people believe that forum users know more than MacRumors? :)

    All we know is that it's likely soon (next 6 weeks?) and it's going to be using Sandybridge. No-one really knows which processor(s) the next Air will use, whether it will have a backlit keyboard (unlikely) nor whether it will support 8GB of RAM, which has been rumored.

    I'm waiting for the new Air like everyone else. However, are you really in a situation where you're so desperate you can't wait? If you are that desperate, buy a refurb unit right now - you'll save 15% or more.
  9. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

    Dec 3, 2010
    We've got two of the current 13 inch Airs here, they are very capable platforms.
  10. brand macrumors 601


    Oct 3, 2006
    You don't even know that, you are just assuming or guessing.
  11. desert-rain macrumors newbie

    Jun 9, 2011

    Its funny I tend to feel that the same way that you do Ridley when I read posts concerning Mac Airs. The caveat though is that I don't own own yet and would likely feel like the other posters if I did just recently bought one -- I guess that's just human nature.

    Anyway I am anxiously awaiting a refresh in June/July and will pick-up an 11-inch Ultimate when the minute I return back to the States.
  12. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Feb 3, 2011
    It's looking more like Nov-Dec due to Sandy Bridge throttling issues seen on Lenovo's, HP's, and Dell's. It's unlikely Apple will release a SB Air until there's a proven work-around. The SB chip is becoming infamous, already had one recall leading to a production delay.

    From Tom's HW on the Jan11 recall: "On January 31, Intel identified a problem with its Cougar Point chipset family affecting SATA 3Gb/s ports. Although that issue was expected to affect between 5 and 15% of systems over three years, we told our readers to wait for a fixed Sandy Bridge platform before buying into the platform." I would wait until the first refresh SB Airs come out to see if there are any throttling problems as seen on PCs.
  13. KylePowers macrumors 68000


    Mar 5, 2011
    Didn't they fix the Cougar Point flaw already?
  14. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Feb 3, 2011
    Yes, they did fix Cougar Point. I was pointing out two things: 1) the SB chip has already had a major issue that Intel first tried to hide, and 2) that Tom's HW advised it would be a good idea to wait on a fix for that issue before buying a SB PC, just as it would be wise to wait on purchasing a SB Air to see if there's a resolution of the throttling issue. This issue will have more legs if there's not a FW fix by any of the PC OEMs.

    Sandy Bridge recall, an Insider's story >
  15. unregbaron macrumors regular

    Oct 20, 2002
    When do they add Lion when making a new Mac?

    Maybe off topic - H

    ow long it takes to assemble a Macbook Air?

    At what stage would Lion be added?
    Assume on a chip put into the machine or is it installed on completed device?

    If we assume a September MBA refresh - when is the latest deadline to fix the spec/confirm components? Won't this already have been decided?
  16. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

    tom vilsack

    Nov 20, 2010
    ladner cdn
    maybe the $199 asus x101 has apple rethinking......
  17. iNeedToDoHw macrumors regular

    May 23, 2011
    Didn't engadget have an article about MBA shipping last month?

    maybe I miss read it or confused it with some thing else...
  18. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Guessing? What would Apple upgrade to? :confused:
  19. neteng101 macrumors 65816

    Jan 7, 2009
    When discussing rumors and the future, what do you expect? Facts? No one knows for sure and its all anybody's best guess.

    Not me - the current late '2010 MBAs are a total sweet spot that Apple hit, and what you might not realize, is that many of us that own one are totally happy and can't see a reason for anyone to be waiting for Sandy Bridge, when you can just go out and get an excellent MBA today.

    Still given the timing now, its coming close enough to a refresh time that there's no harm waiting if one has the time to wait, but there is really no harm in buying the C2Ds either. There's issues with Sandy Bridge that makes it less desirable IMO - the integrated graphics and heat are the primary concerns/unknowns.

    And there is validity in talking about Ivy Bridge - it will bring USB 3.0 and less heat, better power consumption (longer battery life) and all the good stuffs that makes IB the primary target for those with C2Ds to want to consider an upgrade.

    But there is no reason I can see to totally avoid the C2D if you need to buy an MBA today. Unless you are totally OCD and only care about paper specs or having the latest/greatest, its just silly insecurities that you're accusing current owners of, that would lead to advising everyone to wait, regardless of circumstance.

    Bottom line - no harm waiting if you can/want to, but no harm buying what's available today either.
  20. brand macrumors 601


    Oct 3, 2006
    On more than one occasion Apple has been provided exclusive access to unannounced Intel processors. Given that, we really don't know what Apple will upgrade to since this could be one of those times when they decide to use a processor that the general public does not know exists.
  21. brand macrumors 601


    Oct 3, 2006
  22. Abstract, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

    Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    On how many occasions? :confused: The only one I can think of is the original 1st generation MBA, which had a "custom" Intel Merom processor (custom because it was slightly smaller, but mostly because it essentially used a teeny tiny mobo that wasn't originally due for release until several months later. Other than that, I can't recollect another "true" Apple exclusive. :confused:

    Also, I can't see Apple getting anything significantly different from what's on the market today. Not from Intel. The addition of Thunderbolt is one thing that makes Apple's MBA innards a bit special, but Intel REGULARLY works with its customers to specifically cater to a customer's needs. The parts used in laptops are rarely stock-standard (actually, Apple has ordered Intel stock-standard designs in the past, rather than getting slight modifications done on a particular design, which resulted in getting a lower price!!). The original MBA did actually get a really exclusive design from Intel, but it was more a case of Apple wanting something that Intel was already working on, only months earlier than Intel had intended on releasing it. Intel was able to deliver it early thanks to some help from Apple engineers, if I remember correctly. Unless Apple were to help get IB shipped out 1 year earlier (mind you, Intel recently announced a delay....), Apple isn't going to get a real exclusive for this MBA update. ;)

    This update will be a simple upgrade to SB. If it wasn't, Steve and Intel's CEO would have gotten on stage at WWDC and bragged about it. :p
  23. brand macrumors 601


    Oct 3, 2006
    One of the Mac Pro releases also received a pre-release unannounced Xeon processor.
  24. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yes, but Apple essentially got a Xeon CPU that was clocked slightly higher, and was actually being released in a few months.

    You said people were guessing that the upcoming MBA refresh was going to use Sandy Bridge. Intel recently announced that IB was going to be released in around 1 year. You think there's a chance that Apple will get something other than Sandy Bridge? :confused:

Share This Page