2011 Macbook Air temperatures

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by myuserid08, Aug 4, 2011.

1. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

I'm currently encoding - when started the CPU reached 98c, once the fans kicked in this came down to 90-95c.

When using my old 2008 air, it never reached anywhere near 90c.

Just wondering if anyone else has similar temps ?

EDIT: 1.7GHZ i5, 256gb, 4gb

Attached Files:

2. squaremon macrumors regular

squaremon

My keyboard on top around F5 and F6 key are always warm. Not really doing intensive stuff only safari and Skype and the temp can reach up around 50-60c. When working on heavy load it can reach up around 95c. Not su re if it's normal. All the macs I ever got are all heated. Never really seen how people get their temp low except people post in forums

3. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

During tasks that take up 100% of all virtual cores, my i5 1.7 Ghz reaches up to ~97°C (core temperature), but only during the first few minutes.

I think that's the two-core Turbo Boost kicking in temporarily since HandBrake shows a higher FPS count in the beginning than later. Then it calms down, FPS count drops and temperatures too, at about 89°C.

From what I have read so far, everybody gets the same kind of figures during such CPU intensive tasks. So I would say the temperatures you're seeing are normal for an MBA. That's nothing to worry about either, these CPUs know how to protect themselves against overheating.

4. echo.park macrumors regular

echo.park

I'm sorry, but how do I display my temperatures? What tool do you use?

5. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

6. echo.park macrumors regular

echo.park

7. Peteyy macrumors newbie

Peteyy

8. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

On another thread one person notes that running iStat seems to increase MBA operating temps...

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Why?

It's simply pulling numbers from the various temperature sensors built into the laptop.

And OP those numbers seem to be the norm on the 11 Air's.