2011 MacBook pro 13 inch, loud fans, overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cecek, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Cecek macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I bought my MacBook recently (arond 14 days) and I am having heavy issues with overheating and loud fans. Only running opera while watching a blip.tv and itunes at the same time the cpu temperature goes up to 90 degrees celsius and the fans go to "jet" mode. Not only that, but even the mouse that I have plugged in (standard wireless Logitech) starts "stuttering" and sometimes even the music stops for a second. This seems VERY serious to me. Is it standard? What might be causing it? How can I fix it?
    Attached: istat screenshot. CPU gets up to 90 deg just when I turn off fullscreen on blip.tv.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: P.S. The fan gets close to 6000 rpm during that.

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your Mac is not overheating. The processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). Your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on them. Websites with Flash content and any multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. Your fans will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.

3. Cecek thread starter macrumors newbie

So a flash video and itunes is such a heavy workload that the computer is getting close to being unusable? This can't be right...

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not unusable if it's not shutting down. Just use it and relax. Make sure you're not blocking the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's not in any way shape or form unusable, unless you like usings your computer on your lap naked.

Flash is very poorly written software and it's OS X implementation sucks, it likes to eat up a lot of processor cycles and heat things up.

6. Cecek thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm talking about the mouse. I don't know why but it's just really weird and it just stops for a fraction of a second than keeps going and thinks like that. At first I thought it was running out of battery, but it wasn't that. Strangely, this doesn't happen with the touchpad. Anyway, I'm sort of happy that it is flash-related, so I hopefully won't have the same issues with other things I would assume are as demanding on the laptop as a flash video.
    Thanks for the answers.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Could be something else entirely, what type of mouse do you use?

Also, try updating to the very latest version of flash player, the newer versions allow hardware acceleration and overall use less CPU cycles.

8. Cecek thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll update the flash player.
    Mouse: http://www.logitech.com/en-sg/mice-pointers/mice/devices/6064

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

The stutter you are exeriencing could be related to the mouse falling asleep to save the batteries, and waking up once you move it. Most wireless mice do this,on some this is more noticeable than others.

Do you have a cheap wired mouse somewhere in your house? Try that and see if it fixes anything.

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

test your load out on pcs and see what happens. if you find one that can handle it, return your mac and get it. in my experience, movie streaming tortures laptops.

or, close itunes and stop multi-tasking. how can you be watching tv, listening to itunes, and surfing at the same time?

11. Cecek thread starter macrumors newbie

I've used the mouse on 2 pcs before and there were no issues. It is also fine on the Mac most of the time, I only noticed it happening in conjunction with those loud fans and high temperature.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your mouse stutters, it's not because of temps or fans; it's because of high demands on your CPU/GPU, which also causes higher temps. Your system is "too busy" with other tasks to "listen to" your mouse input. How much RAM do you have? Look at Activity Monitor, at the System Memory tab at the bottom. What are your Page outs and Swap used?

13. Azadre macrumors 6502

Compared to my mid 2009 15 MBP, I am finding the same to be true. This machine just runs a bit hotter, and the fans are louder as a result. I will probably return it.

14. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

What you are really seeing is how badly Flash player works in OS X. It's horribly inefficient and drains the battery faster.

15. Azadre macrumors 6502

A stronger processor, a 'stronger video card', and problems that were not experienced on older, slower machines with the same software implicate the components and the manufacturing process. This isn't the first time apple mistakenly released notebooks with bad temperature control.

16. Cecek thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. So I tried to run Warcraft 3 (a 9 year old game!) and the processor temperature went to 95 deg celsius. Mouse is totally unusable... I don't know what's going on... I can't run a nine year old video game on a brand new $1000+ computer!? This is a joke. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It might also be the loss of GPU accelerated Flash on the new Macs.

It is Universal binary by this point...

18. Cecek thread starter macrumors newbie

What does it mean?

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It is compiled to run under Intel and PowerPC platforms.

20. Cecek thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried another game on it. Frozen Synapse, it is a recent game with very minimalistic graphics. (you can google it) and the MacBook goes crazy with fans and temperature again.
    I am returning the MacBook as soon as I can, thanks everyone for the answers. The laptop is HORRIBLE, I would advice everyone to avoid buying it.

21. snaky69 macrumors 603

You probably have a defective unit, the 13" MBP should run both those games no problem.