Price Advice 2011 MacBook Pro 13" With Lots Of Extras

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thetechfixer, Mar 10, 2012.

1. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

Hi, I own a 2011 13" 2.3GHz i5 MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM and a 320GB hard drive and I was wondering what I can get out of it. This machine is in really good condition but it has 2 minor scratches on the bottom and one minor at the top which you cant even notice, I will include stuff with it like software and accessories

Software

CleanMyMac - $29.95

Microsoft Office: Home And Business 2011 - $199.99

MacXDVD Ripper Pro - $49.95

MacX Video Converter Pro - $49.95

Asphalt 6 - $6.99

Mac OS X Lion - $29.99

Final Cut Pro X - $299.99

Windows 7 Ultimate In Virtual Box - $349.99

Total - $1016.80 (Without Taxes)
    ---------------------------------------------------

Accessories

Speck Case - $54.95

Full Body Keyboard Skin - $34.95

Keyboard Skin - $24.95

Total - $114.85 (Without Taxes)

-----------------------------------------

Grand Total - $1131.65 (Without Taxes)

------------------------------------------------

So how much can I get out of this?

2. Inopia-Vi, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

First thing, make sure you have the physical CD's and license keys if you expect to sell your mac with the software.

MSRP new is 1200$, and the price used turn around 1050$ on ebay. Since it has minor scratches, assume its worth to surf around 1k.

Add 70$ for the accessories and it should get you 1070$ at most.

IF you have the boxes for office and w7, add 300. For the rest, it does not have "real" value among buyers, at most 20$.

So, the machine+accesories+w7 and office(with boxes): 1370$, and be firm about the price.

That would be my advice.

3. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Final Cut Pro X is a Mac App Store product. I believe that means it is tied to the user, not the machine, so the purchaser will not be able to download any updates.

4. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

you can't count lion as an upgrade considering all macs have come stock with it for almost a year

5. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

True, but even a illegitimate copy will link itself to the appstore :rolleyes:

6. Thares macrumors regular

Thares

The thing is: I wouldn't buy your MacBook with the software. You better sell everything solely.

Here is why: People don't want to be limited in making their decisions (like: what software do I install?) and they want to influence their decisions.

My advice in short because bullet points are catchy:
    • sell every item solely
    • include Lion as a gift (people love gifts)
    • go below 20-30 percent of the refurbished price
    The last point is not unimportant. People consider their belongings much more worth than others do. That has something to do with personal worth, the self-serving bias et cetera.

Personally spoken: I will probably never buy an used Mac from eBay or colleagues. I will buy an refurbished Mac - because the price difference is marginal, it is new and - most important - I can give it back to Apple within 2 or 4 weeks if I'm not pleased. And that is, according to what I said earlier about the freedom to influence own decisions, quite an argument. For me, at least.

Have a nice day.

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

You're basically selling a stock Early 2011 13" base. As such, you're probably looking at $850-900.

You're much better off selling Windows and FCPX separately - they're not going to add much to the computer itself.