2011 MacBook Pro 13" won't boot up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by inpastawetrust, Dec 17, 2014.

1. inpastawetrust macrumors newbie

My computer was running super slow and I was getting a spinning wheel on literally every application, including finder, so I turned it off to see if that would fix it. After that, every time I've tried to turn it on, it makes the startup sound, the apple logo comes up, a buffer wheel under that, and a progress bar under that. The progress bar always gets up to about an eighth of the way, then it disappears and the Mac turns off. It has Mavericks I believe. Can anyone help me out in a way that wouldn't cost me any money? I'm flat broke.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Looks like your hard drive totally died.

You're going to need to fork out cash for a new hard drive.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

See if your MBP will boot into safe mode. Turn off your Mac, wait 20 seconds or so, and then turn on. As soon as you hear the chime, press and hold the shift key until you see the Apple logo.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Your symptoms immediately make me suspect that your hard drive is failing, and might be completely gone. Often, at boot, you Mac will make several attempts at accessing/testing the hard drive. If that boot test fails, then the power will shut off.
    So, the fix will be to replace your hard drive. I hope you have your important files backed up to another drive.... :(

5. inpastawetrust thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how much a new hard drive would be and if I can install it myself?

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy