Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Hi all,

Am attempting to Frankenstein a working MacBook Pro out of two late 2011 13 inch MacBook Pros.

One has USB ports which don't work (one does nothing, the other brings up the overcurrent so usb is disabled message) - but otherwise works fine.

One displays weird distortion on the screen - see attached video and photos. I swapped the displays, but both displays perform the same. Any ideas? Or is it likely a GPU failure?

IMG_3947.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

Last edited:

chscag

Contributor
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I would be surprised if it's the GPU. Normally the integrated Intel HD Graphics chipset is pretty solid. Could be a bad or flaky LVDS cable or one of the other video cables or even the connector.

Since you have a spare MBP to cannabilize, maybe you can try swapping the cables.

Comment

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I would be surprised if it's the GPU. Normally the integrated Intel HD Graphics chipset is pretty solid. Could be a bad or flaky LVDS cable or one of the other video cables or even the connector.

Since you have a spare MBP to cannabilize, maybe you can try swapping the cables.
Thanks - I swapped over the screens completely including the cable and the same issue occurs - maybe it is the connector on the logic board :O

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.