2011 Macbook Pro 15" 2.2 ghz i7 Quad slow boot time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kk05629, Jul 24, 2011.

1. kk05629 macrumors member

Greetings...I just purchased a 2011 15" 2.2 ghz i7 quad core Macbook pro with the 500 gb 7200 RPM hard drive. I upgraded it to Lion (via a free download from apple).

It takes 1:40 seconds to boot to a server login prompt !!?? I don;t have the boot time from when the MBP had Snow Leopard installed to compare to.

I checked other forum posts and I am seeing some times of 40 seconds with 5400 rpm drives on 13" i5 & i7's...so it seems to me my boot time is slow.

2 questions:

Do you think the Lion upgrade is slowing down the boot?

Do you think I should do a clean Lion install (I created a bootable DVD via the InstallESD.dmg image I saved based on a MR forum post)?

Any thoughts, comments, or additional suggestions is appreciated.

2. Meetster macrumors member

I just made a clean install of Lion and yes i have now slower boot times, and i have more beachballs when working with Photoshop and this even with using 8GB of RAM....

3. senohpoxas88 macrumors member

senohpoxas88

Same here. I've gotten times where I have waited 5+ minutes.

Same spec as you mentioned, maybe there is something wrong with our specific model?

4. Unpleasant macrumors member

yup after lion my boot times been slowed down too

5. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

When i first installed Lion (Upgrade) my boot time were pretty much exactly the same, I have since reinstalled to a clean install of Lion and it is running fine, I am actually booting slightly faster!

6. spudwaffle macrumors newbie

Try repairing disk permissions. That brought my "dirty" lion install to working like SL used to.

Also, Lion may not be designed for frequent shutdown/reboot. It is a better idea to shut your laptop (sleep) when you aren't using it for a short amount of time.

7. kk05629 thread starter macrumors member

I did repair the permissions and it only gained me 10 seconds (Still 129 seconds on the boot). I bit the bullet and did a clean install. On the fist boot after the install...it booted in 39 seconds. I then set the MBP to join my home Mac Mini server so i could log into my domain account. When I rebooted after that...the boot increased to 1 minute and has stayed there for multiple reboots. Could the additional 20 seconds be some sort of negotiation with the domain server?

Another interesting observation: During the boot...approximately 20 seconds into the boot...the backlit keyboard lights (giving me the suggestion that the login prompt is right around the corner)...but it then takes an additional 40 seconds to get he login prompt.

Don't get me wrong...I am happy that I knocked off approx 40 seconds off the boot (from 100 seconds to 60 seconds). Still...I thought it would be faster as it is a 2.2 ghz quad processor with a 7200 RPM hard drive.

8. negativzero macrumors 6502

Try adding a new account then using this fresh account, redraft and reboot. See I this changes anything.